Typical stable WiFi signal strength

Sg86

n3wb
Reaction score
So, i have 4 dome cameras that are all PoE, never had a single drop out that i remember of course why would i?

Just hooked up a few via WiFi (cubes), one has signal strength according to the UI of 99, and the other 55. The one at 55 is unusable, UI keeps failing, and the stream to zoneminder also.

Just wondering what other peoples experiences are with this, and if there is anything i can tweak to make it usable over wifi

noneforit

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
To be blunt, streaming video over wifi is never going to be as reliable as using a cable.

I would install something like inssider on a laptop, stand where the camera is and look at the RSSI, the signal to noise ratio and and interference from neighbouring APs.

Wifi signal strength is just part of the puzzle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sg86

n3wb
Reaction score
To be blunt, streaming video over wifi is never going to be as reliable as using a cable.

I would install something like inssider on a laptop, stand where the camera is and look at the RSSI, the signal to noise ratio and and interference from neighbouring APs.

Wifi signal strength is just part of the puzzle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have wifi running on difference channel than all my neighbours and i'm not in a densely populated street, only 6 other APs around.

It runs great on the camera with 99 strength obviously, but the 55 one keeps losing connection, but 55 isn't really that bad, is it?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You have a Microwave oven and so do all your neighbors; Channels are only applicable to WiFi.. Tons of stuff works on 2.4GHz and wont give a crap about your channels, Bluetooth, RC Toys, basically everything thats wireless..

Even with 99% Signal Strength I can knock your camera off your network with an app on my phone..

The one with 99% signal strength could be jamming out the weaker one, devices streaming HD video non-stop 24/7/365 are going to ruin your Wifi network.. Most people can only get 1-2 devices on WiFi before it goes to shit

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
doing a "site survey" and seeing what channels are being used around you, and then avoiding those channels for yourself IS helpful, but ONLY helpful. never depend on wireless. there is always a way to hardwire something. its just a matter of importance vs feasibility