Ubiquiti - AI Theta Camera

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
The company will release another new product this year called AI Theta. Per the video it’s intended for a unobtrusive and stealth install.

Based on the promotional video it’s 4K and so called high frame rate. Incorporates AI detection or filters. The device is POE powered and the lens can be mounted 30 meters from the main controller.

There is an optional speaker / microphone accessory. It’s fair to state this hardware doesn’t conform or support any industry standards.

Think ONVIF but will more than likely offer RTSP via their protect NVR / Software. As always they don’t ever offer any real specifications like actual lens, sensor, lux, WDR, DORI, information.

When you read the replies in that video you already know 99% of the people have no clue about video security.

Having said that the hardware looks great and does offer the market even more choices and competition! This is great as this will hopefully push all the Johnny come lately to do better!

Both Dahua & Hikvision never mind almost every major security vendor has offered a similar camera system for decades.

Think ATM machines . . .

Axis and many others have offered such technology and size for decades. My hopes is this new hardware will drive down prices while increasing performance as many of these systems still use shit sensors to MP resolution!

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The 'bullet' mount for this is far larger than the mounts Axis made for their units.

However, Ubiquiti claim that this camera sensor unit can be 30m from the main processor unit.
That is a nice feature for tight wall/ceiling spaces.
(Are Ubiquiti going to make a rack mount shelf for these processor units? :lol:)

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
The 'bullet' mount for this is far larger than the mounts Axis made for their units.

However, Ubiquiti claim that this camera sensor unit can be 30m from the main processor unit.
That is a nice feature for tight wall/ceiling spaces.
(Are Ubiquiti going to make a rack mount shelf for these processor units? :lol:)
One thing they don’t say is if the processing unit is POE powered vs 120 VAC. If the latter that does limit the total distance that can be used.

I do like the flush look they show.

The main unit looks very similar to their UNMS controller I already have. A rack mount for holding multiple units would be nice for sure.

As stated before my hope is this new offering will push others to release better and cheaper hardware. The current batch of the same form factor cameras as it relates to low light performance is really lacking.

So called AI has been present for some in the market. Just really wish someone would make a system that would allow 4-8 of these cameras to be connected to a single controller / processor.

As of this writing I’ve only seen a couple that support two cameras. Anything that provides three and more have all been analog systems using 1980 technology.

In 2022 I’m not turning back to use that!