Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
If I cant get both under 40 total I'll go with your link

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
Are these better than the m2 nano loco?
NanoStation AC loco 5 NS-5ACL-US PRE CONFIGURED 5GHz 802.11ac Airmax ac CPE Radio 450+ Mbps Wireless Access Point (2 Pack) Amazon.com: NanoStation AC loco 5 NS-5ACL-US PRE CONFIGURED 5GHz 802.11ac Airmax ac CPE Radio 450+ Mbps Wireless Access Point (2 Pack): Computers & Accessories

Trying to get newest and best 2 pack for under 150. NanoStation AC loco 5 NS-5ACL-US PRE CONFIGURED 5GHz 802.11ac Airmax ac CPE Radio 450+ Mbps Wireless Access Point (2 Pack) Amazon.com: NanoStation AC loco 5 NS-5ACL-US PRE CONFIGURED 5GHz 802.11ac Airmax ac CPE Radio 450+ Mbps Wireless Access Point (2 Pack): Computers & Accessories

I dont need preconfigured it seems pretty easy to set up. Thanks guys

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are these better than the m2 nano loco?
NanoStation AC loco 5 NS-5ACL-US
I'm sure they're OK, I've only used its excellent older cousin the NS-LOCOM5 -US .
Perhaps @bp2008 can chime in, it may have been he that mentioned the AC version not too long ago.
I dont need preconfigured it seems pretty easy to set up. Thanks guys
It is, no point in paying someone $60 to do about 15-20 minutes work that YOU can definitely do; IMO, those instructions linked in my post #22 above are VERY easy to follow, especially for someone who has already configured, installed and tweaked some IP cameras, NVR and/or a VMS PC.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm sure they're OK, I've only used its excellent older cousin the NS-LOCOM5 -US .
Perhaps @bp2008 can chime in, it may have been he that mentioned the AC version not too long ago.

It is, no point in paying someone $60 to do about 15-20 minutes work that YOU can definitely do; IMO, those instructions linked in my post #22 above are VERY easy to follow, especially for someone who has already configured, installed and tweaked some IP cameras, NVR and/or a VMS PC.
What's newest and best for under 150

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What's newest and best for under 150
My understanding is that, in a nutshell, the later "AC" version (NS-5ACL-US) has higher throughput.

It is also my understanding that the AC Loco's do NOT come with the required 24VDC power injector (POE-24-12W-G) so that's an added expense of about $13.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
My understanding is that, in a nutshell, the later "AC" version (NS-5ACL-US) has higher throughput.

It is also my understanding that the AC Loco's do NOT come with the required 24VDC power injector (POE-24-12W-G) so that's an added expense of about $13.
Cant I use poe switches on each end? What are you guys recommending as the best buy on amazon for my needs..

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Cant I use poe switches on each end? What are you guys recommending as the best buy on amazon for my needs..
Negative!
These are passive 24 volts DC at 7 watts. However, it's larger, more expensive brother the NS-5AC is 802.3af compliant.
UBNT does make a POE adapter that takes standard POE and adapts it to the 24VDC these need, I'll look for the part number and get back. That could be another thing to calculate regarding expense.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
Negative!
These are passive 24 volts DC at 7 watts. However, it's larger, more expensive brother the NS-5AC is 802.3af compliant.
UBNT does make a POE adapter that takes standard POE and adapts it to the 24VDC these need, I'll look for the part number and get back. That could be another thing to calculate regarding expense.
Ok what is best bet with poe injectors included?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Locos use 24VDC passive power injectors which are not supplied.
To use standard POE with them, you'll need either an indoor or outdoor adapter that takes 802.3af POE and provides passive 24VDC. Here's those model numbers:

You may consider the larger NS-5AC-US even though it's overkill for your application because it includes the 24VDC passive power injector OR it will operate from standard, 802.3af POE, according to the specs. You can dial its power output down. BUT........they're $130 each !!!!

I'd order the NS-5ACL-US Loco's at $54 each and the 24VDC passive power injectors at $12 each and get it over with. :headbang:

Last edited:

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
The Locos use 24VDC passive power injectors which are not supplied.
To use standard POE with them, you'll need either an indoor or outdoor adapter that takes 802.3af POE and provides passive 24VDC. Here's those model numbers:

You may consider the larger NS-5AC-US even though it's overkill for your application because it includes the 24VDC passive power injector OR it will operate from standard, 802.3af POE, according to the specs. You can dial its power output down. BUT........they're $130 each !!!!

I'd order the NS-5ACL-US Loco's at $50 each and the 24VDC passive power injectors at $12 each and get it over with. :headbang:
2 of these? Ubiquiti NanoStation AC Loco 5GHz airMAX ac CPE with Dedicated Wi-Fi Management (NS-5ACL-US) Amazon.com: Ubiquiti NanoStation AC Loco 5GHz airMAX ac CPE with Dedicated Wi-Fi Management (NS-5ACL-US): Computers & Accessories

PLUSPOE 24volt Passive Gigabit PoE Injector Adapter for Ubiquiti and Mikroik Devices, Fit for Ubiquiti POE-24W-G (Not for 802.3af/at) Amazon.com: PLUSPOE 24volt Passive Gigabit PoE Injector Adapter for Ubiquiti and Mikroik Devices, Fit for Ubiquiti POE-24W-G (Not for 802.3af/at): Computers & Accessories

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Hahaha ok thanks
The nanostations are good?
LOL VERY, I have 1 setup where I have a NVR on a second story building, They have large windows so I used a Spring loaded shower curtain rod to mount the Loco to, its beams to a 1 story parking garage about 500' away through the glass. I was at the building about 2 weeks ago and noticed the radio was pointed 180 degrees from the building, pointing the wrong way, Its was still working fine, Seems they had a contractor cleaning windows and turned it completely away from the building. So do they really need to be lined up, I guess NOT.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is interesting. I don't know much about these yet but I hear about the M5 a lot and have a couple of maybe dumb questions.
Our neighborhood is about to get 1G fiber service. The provider will let us have a few outside ONTs on poles to set up a few public WiFi spots in the subdivision like at the pool or lakefront.

Would the M5 be a good choice for broadcasting the public Wifi signal or is this device just for sending the signal to\from another M5 and back into a building?

Why would turning down the power make short range connectivity better?

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Turning down the power between short distances worked fine for me, I guess keeping em cranked would cause signal issues but some guys here have used them stock for doing short runs, mine is in bridge mode, as far as using them as a AP, they work really well depending on your landscape, just a matter of playing around and tweaking em.