Ubiquiti Nano M5 Mininum Distance

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Looking for anybody that has run the M5's at short distances, I have 2 buildings that are about 100' apart. If I go this route it will be bridged. I have set up several of these at longer distances with ZERO issues, they are rock solid. I have researched this a bit and had a answer of 80' Minimum Distance. Any input or experience would be great.

smole

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Take a look at this product if you haven't already made a purchase, seems like the right thing for your need:

MikroTik

CliveS

n3wb
Reaction score
I use a pair of Ubiquiti NanoStation 5AC's to bridge from the house to the garage, 30 feet at most. They are not pointing at each other, in fact they are 90 degrees out but I still get the following results. Not bad at £50 each (or $50 in the US).

NanoStation 5AC.jpg

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice speed there. If you're only pushing 20 Mbps normally though, you could get away with something like a 10 MHz channel instead of that 80 MHz channel you are using needlessly. Although it could be worse. You're using a DFS channel which isn't normally available to most wifi devices so there will be less to interfere with.

CliveS

n3wb
Reaction score
Nice speed there. If you're only pushing 20 Mbps normally though, you could get away with something like a 10 MHz channel instead of that 80 MHz channel you are using needlessly. Although it could be worse. You're using a DFS channel which isn't normally available to most wifi devices so there will be less to interfere with.
Yes complete overkill but I will be adding 2 more Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE and will also have a Ubiquiti AC Mesh Pro for the front drive added.
Used the DFS channel to keep it clear but it takes ages to startup because of it!, luckily Ubiquiti does not need rebooting unless it updates the firmware.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks Guys,
Will most likely stick with the M5's, I have had nothing but GREAT luck with them and the price is right too. Never had to do much tweaking with them either.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^. Out here in the middle of nowhere, I don't worry much about 2.4 or 5 interference issues but if I did possibly @smole 's Mikrotik's @ 60GHz would be something to think about.
In the meantime...love my UBNT gear!

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm running two Nanostation Loco M5s to bridge from my Gazebo LAN to the LAN in my house. My bridge runs approximately 100-feet; rock solid it is.

Last edited:

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm running to Nanostation Loco M5s to bridge from my Gazebo LAN to the LAN in my house. My bridge runs approximately 100-feet; rock solid it is.
Just what I wanted to hear, Did you have to kick to power down in the radios? I will test em before I mount em.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
What's the max distance on these? I was involved in a ubiquiti thread before and cant find the damn thing. I'm trying to send signal from one of my properties to another about 500ft. Straight shot

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
They don't even sweat at 500' you should be good.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
They don't even sweat at 500' you should be good.
So I need 2? One to send and one to receive or can i use just one and receive its signal with a small wifi extender i already have?

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
h
So I need 2? One to send and one to receive or can i use just one and receive its signal with a small wifi extender i already have?
You can do it either way however If you like your life easy as I do, I usually have got a pre configured set and boom boom boom..no issues. I think I got my last set at Nelly's.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
You can do it either way however If you like your life easy as I do, I usually have got a pre configured set and boom boom boom..no issues. I think I got my last set at Nelly's.

Do these need to be lined up as a beam? Or does it send a degree angle of a signal?

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score

What you think of this?

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
What you think of this?
Its E-bay used, worth a shot but you will have to configure em, not very hard at all to do however you do not know how old those radios are and there condition. Like buying a used router, hopefully the radios don't break down.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.