Ubiquiti poe cams with ubiquiti nvr, Unifi poe switch OR Hikvision poe cams with Hikvision poe nvr

NthHome

n3wb
Reaction score
I’ve got all Unifi gear so far for networking and wondering if I should stay with ubiquiti for the 6 poe cameras of jump to hiivision

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I’d suggest considering Dahua. Hikvision is a great brand, but Dahua has a lot more models of cameras that do well in low-light situations. UniFi just now came out with one camera (G3 Pro) that does well in low-light. It looks to have been inspired by the crazy popular Dahua 5231 varifocal turret that came out two years ago.

There is also a trusted forum vendor here (@EMPIRETECANDY) who makes getting Dahua easy.

My home networking gear is all UniFi. I love the brand, but imho the biggest value add they bring is that their stuff has a US warranty and tech support. When it comes to networking stuff, they seem inexpensive (for the capabilties) vs the rest of the market. With cameras, that seems the opposite... more expensive and not necessarily more capabilities. For the price of one new UniFi G3 Pro (which is the model most folks would use for outside), you can get two Dahua Starlight varifocal turrets. Even then, the new G3 Pro's optical zoom isn't as good.

Granted, if you need to swap a Dahua out under warranty it involves sending it back to Andy in China, and this forum is where you’ll find the best tech support, but for 1/2 the cost, and the ability to get professional-grade cameras from a company whose #1 focus is cameras (not networking gear), I’m very happy having gone with Dahua.

If you think you might geek out with your camera selection over time and get camera models from different manufacturers, consider running the incredibly inexpensive Blue Iris software on a Windows PC for your NVR. Way more capabilities than a NVR. And once you get it setup, you don’t need to keep a monitor, keyboard or mouse attached to that PC, which makes tucking it away easier.

Last edited:

luisrodz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

I’m on the same situation here. I already got all my network (USG, US-16-150W, UC-CK, AP) and wiring done waiting for the BI computer (or NVR) and the cameras.

I’ve been looking for configurations (VPN) which I think is thru Radius. But not sure. I’m not that network savvy.

Also been looking for computer or inexpensive rack server to install the BI. I’ve seen some used Optiplex but had not find one appropriate yet (eBay / Craigslist / FB marketplace). So I’ve been looking into making my own 2U server.

I just want to make sure I buy the right stuff. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro