Ubiquiti setup, what do I need?

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So my HOA enjoys the cam systems I have installed on my neighbors homes so much that now they want a cam on a pole watching an intersection feeding to a home I'm running a system on. Exactly what Ubiquiti equipment do I need? Do I run a base station, antenna( house side) and m5 loco( camera on pole) or just two m5's?

wcrowder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So my HOA enjoys the cam systems I have installed on my neighbors homes so much that now they want a cam on a pole watching an intersection feeding to a home I'm running a system on. Exactly what Ubiquiti equipment do I need? Do I run a base station, antenna( house side) and m5 loco( camera on pole) or just two m5's?
Distance? line of sight? Power at pole at the intersection?

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Distance is about 100ft, and yes it is line of sight with power at pole.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Two m5s would do it. Set them both to the minimum output power so they do not blast an unnecessary amount of interference everywhere. Minimum output power will still be more than enough. Try and mount them high enough that people and vehicles will never block the line of sight.

wcrowder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Distance is about 100ft, and yes it is line of sight with power at pole.
http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Nanostation-Outdoor-5GHz-locoM5/dp/B00HG1CTDW/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1449954872&sr=8-7&keywords=ubiquiti+nanostation

A NEMA box from home depot for the bottom of the pole large enough to wire a standard plugin inside with a POE injector, the Ubiquiti power block and some UV/Direct bury wire or conduit to the top with a standard weather proof fitting... :)

Like bp2008 said above... Turn the power way down, they are not meant for such short distances... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Great, thanks BP! Keeps my cost down to a minimum.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Nanostation-Outdoor-5GHz-locoM5/dp/B00HG1CTDW/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1449954872&sr=8-7&keywords=ubiquiti+nanostation

A NEMA box from home depot for the bottom of the pole large enough to wire a standard plugin inside with a POE injector and some UV/Direct bury wire or conduit... :)

Like bp2008 said above... Turn the power way down, they are not meant for such short distances... :)
Big enough for standard 120v outlet and the poe injector, got it.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a 2.4 gigahertz local m2 running inside of a building going through a thick wall, staircase and stone exterior wall to another building thats 15 or 20 feet away to a ubiquiti omni access point thats in the center of the cinder block building and it works pretty well with 3 cameras at 720p. Need to get it moved to the outside of the building though.

The lower the mhz the better its goes through obstacles I believe.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 2.4 gigahertz local m2 running inside of a building going through a thick wall, staircase and stone exterior wall to another building thats 15 or 20 feet away to a ubiquiti omni access point thats in the center of the cinder block building and it works pretty well with 3 cameras at 720p. Need to get it moved to the outside of the building though.

The lower the mhz the better its goes through obstacles I believe.
That is true, lower frequency tends to penetrate obstacles better. But it still drastically reduces the range, increases the required output power, and causes a ton more interference for other devices. 2.4ghz is also slower in my experience and I'm not sure if this is because of all the other 2.4ghz activity or what.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes you should go with m5. Just telling you it should be fine :)