Ubiquiti switch

cj909

n3wb
Reaction score
I plan on ordering cameras with in the next month. I'm thinking of staring off with 4 and adding more down the line, max 10 total. I have an optiplex that will be running blue iris.
I currently am using a Ubiquiti usg with a usw flex mini 5 port. Now my question is would I be able to add on another ubquiti switch to my current usw (daisy chain) or with its have to connect to the second LAN port on the usg, with it being able to support a vlan?

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
On your flex mini, find a spare port say port 5, plug an ethernet cable into it then purchase another unifi switch and plug the other end of that cable into port 1... bingo!
But if it were me I would purchase a 16 or 24 port unifi switch and replace the flex mini then your setup will be one less switch and look nicer...
USG > 16 Port Unifi Switch > 10 cameras :cool:

asq19

n3wb
Reaction score
On your flex mini, find a spare port say port 5, plug an ethernet cable into it then purchase another unifi switch and plug the other end of that cable into port 1... bingo!
But if it were me I would purchase a 16 or 24 port unifi switch and replace the flex mini then your setup will be one less switch and look nicer...
USG > 16 Port Unifi Switch > 10 cameras :cool:
I would agree with cyberwolf. daisy chaining or cascading can work, but you need to make sure you closely manage your links. putting the larger switch upstream will provide the most flexibility, particularly if a managed switch.

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yes !
I have multiple unifi switches. you can daisy chain, no issues. Majority, not all (going pure by my memory, not a researched answer - LOL) are managed. I believe they DO have an 8 port that is a non-poe but the cost is almost as one that is 4+4 (4 poe, 4 non poe) ports.

cj909

n3wb
Reaction score
thanks for replies.

I looked into getting a bigger switch. I think im going to go with the 16 port, ES-16-150W or US-16-150W, That's if i can find one stock at retail pricing.