Ubiquity EdgeRouter X - Configuring to Isolate Surveillance Networks

abyq

n3wb
Reaction score
Interesting question and why it doesn't work. There are couple of "schools" on how to implement the firewall on an Edgerouter, either you put it on WAN_OUT, or on the "local"_(vlan)_OUT. I opted for the latter:

Code:
        rule 40 {
            action accept
            description "Allow TCP/2195"
            destination {
                port 2195
            }
            log disable
            protocol tcp
            source {
                group {
                    network-group IPC_catcamstarvlan
                }
            }
        }
If you are unsure what is happening: enable "LOG DEFAULT" in the EdgeMAX web browser, and then "tail -f /var/log/messages", and you'll see which IP/Port/Destination gets "blocked".

Good luck!
CC
I've tried this and its seems still not working, from the apps side, its working if all the OP ruleset disabled. I guess I should try again with different ruleset

update:
its working now if I put in restricted_lan_in at first rule, thanks

4isteve

n3wb
Reaction score
@guykuo First, thank you for writing this up!! It was incredibly helpful. I was able to follow your tutorial to set things up, had to change the camera LAN IP block but managed to fix up everything. I even got the OpenVPN setup work with my iphone client.

I had a ASUS router OpenVPN setup before. I normally VPN back home to check on the cameras and use my home ISP to check Internet contents that are blocked at some part of the world. With your EdgeRouter X OpenVPN setup, I was able to do the same - but with some challenges. Checking my LAN cameras was ok, a bit slower than the ASUS setup. But connecting to outside Internet timed out most of the time, and unreliably slow when it worked. EdgeRouter X CPU was barely 15% busy most of the time. Where would you recommend me to troubleshoot this?

4isteve

n3wb
Reaction score
I think I found a fix. I changed the OpenVPN port (both server and client) from 443 to 1194, per instruction here: EdgeRouter - OpenVPN Server . I guess it has to do with browser on my iphone visiting web sites (https on port 443) and created a conflict. But my VPN knowledge is limited. However everything worked perfectly and very fast after I made the change!

GPSeek

n3wb
Reaction score
The firmware versioning is very confusing

From the firmware page:

You can see that smaller-numbered version has a most recent update date.
But the higher number version is older. So, which one we go with? any ideas? Thanks!

EdgeRouter ER-X/ER-X-SFP/EP-R6: Firmware v1.10.11Firmware2020-03-11
EdgeRouter ER-X/ER-X-SFP/EP-R6/ER-10X: Firmware v2.0.8-hotfix.1Firmware2020-03-10