Ubiquity USG unifi controller

bslow47

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello All,

When I click on the Unifi app on my desk top to load the controller a window comes up to launch browser to manage my network.
Well, it is not working now. I get a brief message that tells me my port 80 is already in use (or something along that line). Start up Failed.

1668453301776.png
Trouble shoot will not work. I find this strange because a few days earlier, all worked fine.
The port 80 error message is very brief so I can't snip it to show.
Has anyone else had this problem

Thanks,

spuls

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
1. stop the app

2. open a cmd window and enter "netstat -aon | findstr :80" => check if anything is listening on port 80 => notice the "pid" on the right

1668456719155.png

3. enter the follow in the cmd window: tasklist /svc /FI "PID eq [your PID]"

1668456778095.png

i used the port 81 in my example, so just change it to 80.

bslow47

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
1. stop the app

2. open a cmd window and enter "netstat -aon | findstr :80" => check if anything is listening on port 80 => notice the "pid" on the right

View attachment 145664

3. enter the follow in the cmd window: tasklist /svc /FI "PID eq [your PID]"

View attachment 145665

i used the port 81 in my example, so just change it to 80.
Thanks for you reply,

I followed your instructions and mine did not come out the same as your, which is OK.
As you can tell I'm not the most diverse with IT stuff. Just enough to get in trouble.

I have two desk top computers hooked up via ethernet. One for office activities and one for security cameras only,
For some reason I was running the controller software on the office computer. Anyhow, I decided to do a factory reset
and run the controller software on the security computer. This, for the most part, is working. I have some adoption
issues but believe I can cure by factory reset on the other devices.

On the ubiquity Topology diagram (which I love) it sees all of my hardware but only adopted the router. Plus the topology lines all go
to the router (USG-3P). The whole network is working as far as the cameras, wifi, and ethernet connections and all of the ubiquity
hardware have blue lights on. I bought a Ubiquiti UniFi Beacon wifi extender which opened up this can of worms for me.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I can not see/adopt the beacon because my access point adoption failed.

Anyway, Thanks for your time. I went on and on and I don't even know if you have experience with Ubiquity.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hello All,

When I click on the Unifi app on my desk top to load the controller a window comes up to launch browser to manage my network.
Well, it is not working now. I get a brief message that tells me my port 80 is already in use (or something along that line). Start up Failed.

View attachment 145662
Trouble shoot will not work. I find this strange because a few days earlier, all worked fine.
The port 80 error message is very brief so I can't snip it to show.
Has anyone else had this problem

Thanks,
You need to check the system's error log to really find out what it is.
But its most likely something else installed on that computer that is causing it.
Sometimes uninstalling the App, reboot, and reinstalling it fixes it if something has caused the firewall to deny the program network access.
But ultimately, you need to check the error log to see what caused it.
btw, Why post your problem in the classified ads?

bslow47

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You need to check the system's error log to really find out what it is.
But its most likely something else installed on that computer that is causing it.
Sometimes uninstalling the App, reboot, and reinstalling it fixes it if something has caused the firewall to deny the program network access.
But ultimately, you need to check the error log to see what caused it.
btw, Why post your problem in the classified ads?
S

"btw, Why post your problem in the classified ads?"

Your question "why" is really the answer.:) This should tell you my IT level. I didn't plan on posting in the classified ad section. Didn't even know there was one.
Thank you for your reply though and your input. The information you provided makes a lot of sense. Sometimes the simplest procedures are the best. I did, however,
Install the Ubiquiti software on the security camera computer (where it should have been anyway) and all is fine now. I had to factory reset all of the hardware.
The only snag I had was that the original software was a beta version which I really liked. Now it is back to the older version. I am sure If I do some digging I can get
the beta version back.

The plus side to all of this is there were updates that needed to be installed. When I re-adopted the hardware back in the updates were applied. I even got a little better
wifi signal strength after the updates.

Again, Thank You for your input. I learn so much from this board!