Ubiquity Wireless Bridge 4K cameras

ron351

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Curious as to the limit of 4K cameras that will work on the far end of a wireless bridge. I have a Ubiquity 450Mpps bridge now 450' at the other end of an apartment building with (7) 4K cameras working now out of a POE switch at the far end at the antenna receiving end and works fine.
Had a meeting with the VICE unit tonight at the police station and they want more cameras to watch the drug activity to build a case.
What would be pushing the limit in quantity of 4K cameras that wouldn't go over the 450Mbps allowance for the Ubiquity bridge.

ron351

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I must be the only one I guess who is looking to see how many 4K cameras that can be added to the end run of a 450Mbps Ubiquity bridge on a POE switch. Was hoping someone knew how many Mb each 4K camera would use before the 450Mbps bridge would be full.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
4K camera is going to use around 10Mbps. Maybe a little more or less depending on your setup. So you could add quite a few more LOL.

ron351

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
4K camera is going to use around 10Mbps. Maybe a little more or less depending on your setup. So you could add quite a few more LOL.
Thank you, at least I have a idea now, I have 7 running now no issues. The VICE unit at my Police department wanted to know if I could add more on their monitoring, so will be adding a few more so they can gather the evidence they need.
Thanks again, I was unsure how much each camera might use

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I must be the only one I guess who is looking to see how many 4K cameras that can be added to the end run of a 450Mbps Ubiquity bridge on a POE switch. Was hoping someone knew how many Mb each 4K camera would use before the 450Mbps bridge would be full.
About 35 cameras in, it would starts overloading a 5AC node, but 75 cameras max on a AirMax Rocket base station in PTMP mode.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It is kind of a silly question. Like asking "how many cardboard boxes can you line up before your line is 450 feet long?"

We could not possibly answer that question because you are the one who chooses the size of the boxes and you haven't told us that.

Likewise, you are the one who chooses the bit rate of each camera. All you have to do is add together the bit rates of the cameras, and the sum is your bandwidth requirement.

If we don't know your bit rates, all we can do is make assumptions. If we do know your bit rates, then the answer is something they teach in grade school.

ron351

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It is kind of a silly question. Like asking "how many cardboard boxes can you line up before your line is 450 feet long?"

We could not possibly answer that question because you are the one who chooses the size of the boxes and you haven't told us that.

Likewise, you are the one who chooses the bit rate of each camera. All you have to do is add together the bit rates of the cameras, and the sum is your bandwidth requirement.

If we don't know your bit rates, all we can do is make assumptions. If we do know your bit rates, then the answer is something they teach in grade school.
Keeping the bit rate at 4096 so at the 4096 bit rate and the ubiquity bridge can handle 450Mbps I am not a mathematician that was why I was asking.

ron351

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
About 35 cameras in, it would starts overloading a 5AC node, but 75 cameras max on a AirMax Rocket base station in PTMP mode.
Thank you I use the 5AC never used the PTMP

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you I use the 5AC never used the PTMP
Theoretically it could handle 112 cameras @ 4096 but the switch throughput on the remote ip system comes into play, So after four 8channel POE switches deep, time to live drops video packets even though bandwidth is fine.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Theoretically it could handle 112 cameras @ 4096 but the switch throughput on the remote ip system comes into play, So after four 8channel POE switches deep, time to live drops video packets even though bandwidth is fine.
What "time to live" are you talking about? I'm confused. The TTL in IP packets is not decreased by passing through a network switch. And even if it was, 4 switches would be inconsequential since TTL values start in the ballpark of 64 or higher.

ron351

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
First Ubiquity antenna is direct into the router and only 1 POE switch at the far end antenna. It should be fine.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The TTL in IP packets is not decreased by passing through a network switch.
TTL on a connection is set with The host encoder (NVR, BI, etc) is typically 30ms. The buffering from switches increases time. So after several shared throughput buffers, the latency increases. Camera communications specifications differ from computer network traffic as it requires real-time constant data connections.

TTL on a icmp response (ping, tracerote) is a different thing entirely as it is the number of node hops to the destination it will accept and measure/analyze.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@tech_junkie so this TTL you speak of is part of the RTSP protocol?

I'm calling BS on ethernet switches causing enough delay to be a problem. RTSP streams work fine over the internet with latency far above 30ms. They work over crappy wifi with jitter in excess of 15ms. You could daisy chain ethernet switches all day and as long as the cables are fine the latency is going to remain close to zero.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

I'm calling BS on ethernet switches causing enough delay to be a problem. RTSP streams work fine over the internet with latency far above 30ms. They work over crappy wifi with jitter in excess of 15ms. You could daisy chain ethernet switches all day and as long as the cables are fine the latency is going to remain close to zero.

Depends on hardware. I draw my statements from the 200+ installs I've done this past two decades. I think it has to do with the buffering, or lack of due to the demands. Keep in mind a $20,000.00 internet infrastructure switch is way more robust than a cheap $60 POE switch.

ron351

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Never used RTSP for cameras, sounds good though.