Ubuntu, Wine, Pale Moon, ONVIF Device Manager, working with Hik NVR

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This information may be of use to other Linux users with an interest in CCTV.
Until last week I had working Pale Moon and ONVIF Manger under Wine to access my Hikvision NVR, a DS7608NI-K2 8P on series 3 firmware. Looking back I am thinking it was an update to Wine that screwed things up.

To recover, first I uninstalled Wine and removed all I could find relating to Wine on my Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Desktop PC, this took a while.
Following the WineHQ Wiki I re-installed with the latest appropriate Wine deb, wine-6.0.2 Stable, not Staging, that didn't work for me here.
The default Wine is 64 bit which doesn't help, 32bit is needed. I did not want Winetricks to give me an option for a 32bit prefix. Try as I could it would keep installing software using 64bit. I wanted Wine 32bit.
So before I fired up Wine in the Terminal I set Wine for 32bit first, export WINEARCH=win32
I tested using Stuart Axon's bash script that I was running Wine in 32bit. (Incidentally, doubtless some have success with PlayOnLinux not me.)

I now downloaded Winetricks, and started it up which creates the hidden .wine directory in Home toastie. In Winetricks I see no option to select a 32bit prefix, good it's already been set at 32bit.
After a download I installed 32bit Pale Moon Windows version via the right click Wine Windows Program Loader.
Pale Moon installed and ran without errors. The plugin was installed to enable Live View stream of my Hikvision cameras. With my Dahua cameras I use the Hik NVR's Virtual host feature with an Ubuntu web browser.

Next. ONVIF Device Manager needs MS Net 4.0, this will not install properly under 64bit Wine, it will under 32bit. I first used Winetricks for the MS Net 4.0 install.
From the Terminal I installed the ONVIF Device manager, an msi file using, wine msiexec /i odm-v2.2.250.msi

Until another Wine update comes along I'm expecting things to continue to work.

I'll add a reminder here as I also have 3 Dahua cameras sending their feeds to my Hik NVR (none of these cameras now require a browser plugin with an Ubuntu web browser). The Virtual host feature on the NVR is flaky with my Dahua cameras, it sometimes stops working if I want to adjust a camera's setting via the NVR's Virtual Host on an Ubuntu browser.
If I de-select Virtual Host in the NVR, save, re-select Virtual Host, save, access to my Dahua cameras returns.

Edit: Just a note about what did not work.
After I removed all I could find associated from previous Wine installs, I following WineHQ Wiki, initially I installed the latest wine-staging version. Pale Moon was unstable and there was an issue with the Hikvision plugin, something about RegSvr registration. ONVIF Device Manager was also unstable. I decided to try wine-stable which eventually did work, and all I did was this to go from staging to stable. (In the Terminal slightly more packages were involved from what I was expecting to see.)
sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-stable
sudo dpkg-reconfigure wine-stable-amd64 wine-stable wine-stable-i386
I see from Synaptic Package manager, stable was installed and staging was removed.

This may be helpful less with a wine staging but for the other information there.

Edit 2: I have decided for now to prevent a new version of wine-stable being installed using, sudo apt-mark hold wine-stable
Edit 3: I could already access and view my 3 Dahua camera's Live stream via the NVR's Virtual host feature on an Ubuntu web browser. I wondered if I could use Wine Pale Moon 32bit to get Live view too. I was slightly surprised that I could not. Fortunately I had previously downloaded the Dahua web browser plugin for Windows, LocalServiceComponets.exe. Once installed using Wine Windows Program Loader all 3 cameras worked with Wine Pale Moon 32bit. Incidentally the file LocalServiceComponets.exe:Zone identifier seems to be created.

Last edited: