Ugh.. I just hosed my system trying to update to 5...

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
EDITED TO ADD: Solved. Delete any and all references to Blueiris or Perspective in the registry. One key with 'a1' will not delete until you manually edit the key's permissions to include admin with full read/write permissions. Then reboot, reinstall v4 (you'll need your key), then import backed up settings. WHEW!!!

I won't go over all the steps, but following the migration guide here, I'm stranded.

Upon completing the 5 upgrade, BI5 opened, with every camera placeholder there, but each camera was 'no signal' rainbow. I putzed around a bit and ultimately gave up thinking perhaps the settings didn't import properly - so I imported the BI4 backup file I created before the migration. No errors, but BI diasspeared.

Now when I try to open the app, nothing happens, but the task manager is showing that it's open using 14% CPU. Clicking the app icon more than once will add another copy in the processes tab of the task manager.

At this point, I uninstalled V5 complete. Rebooted, and then tried to go back to V4. The same thing happens. I get only copies of BI process with about 15% cpu - but nothing else shows up - console never opens.

WTF did I do?

Last edited:

Huntin3006

n3wb
Reaction score
I had the same issue. I solved it by doing a Windows recovery (Restore on Window 7). That got Blue Iris 4 working again and I'm staying with BI4 until the bugs get worked out. It would be a good idea to make copies of all the BI folders before you run the recovery in case you need any of them. (I needed them for the alerts)

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I had the same issue. I solved it by doing a Windows recovery (Restore on Window 7). That got Blue Iris 4 working again and I'm staying with BI4 until the bugs get worked out. It would be a good idea to make copies of all the BI folders before you run the recovery in case you need any of them. (I needed them for the alerts)
When you say windows recovery, you mean a restore point (I have that turned off, so no dice there), or do you mean a reinstall/repair of windows? I'm on Windows10, and have so many other apps that I don't want to lose/reconfigure, that would be the nuclear option for me.

Reaction score
did you try a new fresh clean install of BI4, then importing your backup.reg from your BI4?

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
did you try a new fresh clean install of BI4, then importing your backup.reg from your BI4?
Yes, I uninstalled everything and rebooted. Then installed V4. But as soon as I try to open it, nothing happens - task manager reports it as open, but no console - no way to get to any interface. That's the problem.

As I write this, I've gone through the registry and deleted anything with Blueiris or Perspective in it. I'm hoping that somewhere the hooks are there.

Huntin3006

n3wb
Reaction score
For Windows 10 go to the control panel and there is an icon called "Recovery", then select "Open System Restore" and go from there. If you have that turned off look over the other BI5 posts. I've seen some posts having success fixing it but I'm not willing to mess with it now that I have BI4 going again.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Woohoo! Fixed. After methodically removing all traces of BI / perspective from the registry, rebooting, reinstalling v4, it came up! I then imported the backup I created just before attempting V5 and I'm back up!!!

rolandrat

n3wb
Reaction score
Ive had the same problem, it all goes fine until I un-install BI4, and it then wipes out all cameras/settings even if I tell it to not remove license and registry etc.
I restore the BI5 settings backup and then the thing loads (can be seen in task manager) but the app doesnt appear.
Luckily, and I cant praise this enough, Acronis (2018) has the Try & Decide option, so I use it before any big change/install and I could go back and ignore any changes.
I think I'll wait a few weeks before seeing if it has been fixed.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Here has been my experience trying to update. First off the installer did not finish like it was suppose to and install the VC dist. package. So as instructed I did that from the BI5 folder. Then all seemed ok until I tried to uninstall BI4. Even though I selected "NO" do not delete all of the registry settings....it did anyway. So now when I restarted BI5 I had no cameras installed. I then tried to import my BI4 saved settings that the installer made during setup, AND the all hell broke loose, just like many here have stated BI5 would not start fully and I had screwed up registry. So here is how I have it fixed and it's running great since. I completely uninstalled both BI4 and BI5 and cleared all the Perspective keys in registry. I then imported my backup of the registry I made myself....not using BI4 backup. So now the machine is ready to install BI5.....all went great and I no longer have BI4 to uninstall. Keep in mind I have had about 5 hrs of time in this and much patience....and wasn't worried about getting back to BI4 if needed. It's always fun to do any upgrade :)

Oh, and I forgot to mention fixing the webserver path and adding the latest UI3 as well....but in the end I am running a lower CPU usage. I use profiles and zones as well, and they seem to be fine so far. I did test a few profiles and they are switching settings ok.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Here has been my experience trying to update. First off the installer did not finish like it was suppose to and install the VC dist. package. So as instructed I did that from the BI5 folder. Then all seemed ok until I tried to uninstall BI4. Even though I selected "NO" do not delete all of the registry settings....it did anyway. So now when I restarted BI5 I had no cameras installed. I then tried to import my BI4 saved settings that the installer made during setup, AND the all hell broke loose, just like many here have stated BI5 would not start fully and I had screwed up registry. So here is how I have it fixed and it's running great since. I completely uninstalled both BI4 and BI5 and cleared all the Perspective keys in registry. I then imported my backup of the registry I made myself....not using BI4 backup. So now the machine is ready to install BI5.....all went great and I no longer have BI4 to uninstall. Keep in mind I have had about 5 hrs of time in this and much patience....and wasn't worried about getting back to BI4 if needed. It's always fun to do any upgrade :)

Oh, and I forgot to mention fixing the webserver path and adding the latest UI3 as well....but in the end I am running a lower CPU usage. I use profiles and zones as well, and they seem to be fine so far. I did test a few profiles and they are switching settings ok.
So you're saying that after all this, you installed BI5 as a clean install AFTER installing the backup VIA THE REGISTRY EDITOR and it all works? Now that I know how to unwind using the registry deletions, I may give that a go.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
So you're saying that after all this, you installed BI5 as a clean install AFTER installing the backup VIA THE REGISTRY EDITOR and it all works? Now that I know how to unwind using the registry deletions, I may give that a go.
Yes, just to clarify I just right click on this key and EXPORT it to a safe location....then all you do is dbl click that file and it will import it back into the registry.

Annotation 2019-06-01 145658.jpg

when you run the BI5 installer it will update the registry....DO NOT use any BI5 import functions

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Yes, just to clarify I just right click on this key and EXPORT it to a safe location....then all you do is dbl click that file and it will import it back into the registry.

View attachment 43053

when you run the BI5 installer it will update the registry....DO NOT use any BI5 import functions
Bingo brother... That worked. The key is to either leave BI4 in place, or make sure you insert the registry backup manually after it has been removed but before installing/first running BI5. Brilliant. I'm on BI5 now!

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Bingo brother... That worked. The key is to either leave BI4 in place, or make sure you insert the registry backup manually after it has been removed but before installing/first running BI5. Brilliant. I'm on BI5 now!
Now dbl check your profiles and web server path....good luck !

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Now dbl check your profiles and web server path....good luck !
Webserver path is working - no errors and all devices are connecting both LAN and WAN. Profiles are all there too! I wonder if the manual registry export/import and installing BI5 w/o BI4 on the system resolves those issues as well...

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
BTW, I had to revert back to 1.12 on BI Tools for it to work on BI5. It would not restart BI5 ...was giving me some #0 error on the latest BI tools 1.3.3 ....I have reported it to Mike.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Webserver path is working - no errors and all devices are connecting both LAN and WAN. Profiles are all there too! I wonder if the manual registry export/import and installing BI5 w/o BI4 on the system resolves those issues as well...
Very possible, I know in my case it corrupted the registry after I tried to import my backup using BI5 to the point it would not run at all.

rolandrat

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Tinman, I exported the registry keys, un-installed BI4, deleted the leftover BI4 folder, installed BI5, restored the registry keys and start BI5, all working, I did have to run installer again and 'repair' to get UI13 working though.
Thanks again!

Zanthexter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Upon completing the 5 upgrade, BI5 opened, with every camera placeholder there, but each camera was 'no signal' rainbow.
Ran into that. Disabling Nvidia HW acceleration fixed it.

Might not have been your particular cause, but figured I'd reply to the thread in case it might help someone else.