** Uh...Best Buy $120 External 8TB Hard Drives actually have $250 WD Red Drives Inside?!?!

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
From what I've heard around as well, is that enterprise level drives that are designed for continuous operation are a good choice for storage as well. But, they're ridiculously priced for us common folks who are frugal.

But great thread and thanks for the information folks.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Wow these drives are so much cheaper for you guys than here in the UK where they just change the $ sign to a £

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
Just pulled an 8tb out of an EasyStore today and installed on my new HP ProDesk / Blue Iris setup.

Just figuring out Blue Iris, and setup up to record to this drive. I put the “New”, “Stored”, and “Alerts” folders on this drive. Hopefully I have figured out the correct folder setup. Is that what most do?

One thing I noticed is that during recording there is a lot more noise coming from the drive. Last week I used this same drive in its case to transfer about 5tb of files off an old HP Microserver and it was pretty quite.

Maybe the drive is somewhat overworking because I probably have to fine tune the recording setting. I’m new to Video Surveillance and still figuring things out.

Also, my 8tb EasyStore had a “White Label” drive inside. Not like above video.

Last edited:

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
One thing I noticed is that during recording there is a lot more noise coming from the drive.
I harvested a 10GB white label drive that I've bench tested but haven't installed yet. When it's totally idle, there's a near constant noise that sounds like it's moving the heads back and forth a little bit.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
I harvested a 10GB white label drive that I've bench tested but haven't installed yet. When it's totally idle, there's a near constant noise that sounds like it's moving the heads back and forth a little bit.
I only hear that when recording on my 8tb white label. Is this normal? It is not super loud but is noticeable. When idle I don’t hear a thing for the most part.

erensfd

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just pulled an 8tb out of an EasyStore today and installed on my new HP ProDesk / Blue Iris setup.

Just figuring out Blue Iris, and setup up to record to this drive. I put the “New”, “Stored”, and “Alerts” folders on this drive. Hopefully I have figured out the correct folder setup. Is that what most do?

One thing I noticed is that during recording there is a lot more noise coming from the drive. Last week I used this same drive in its case to transfer about 5tb of files off an old HP Microserver and it was pretty quite.

Maybe the drive is somewhat overworking because I probably have to fine tune the recording setting. I’m new to Video Surveillance and still figuring things out.

Also, my 8tb EasyStore had a “White Label” drive inside. Not like above video.
I would just use the “new” folder and maximize its size to how much of the drive you want to use for BI, and have it delete after that. I don’t think there‘s any point of setting up a “stored” folder in the same hard drive and have BI keep moving files.

I got my 14TB yesterday and it is a white label similar to what people reported on reddit.

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I only hear that when recording on my 8tb white label. Is this normal? It is not super loud but is noticeable. When idle I don’t hear a thing for the most part.
Not sure about your Noise Issue...I hear it also on my 3 drives
But,
I would run the WD Data LifeGuard Diagnostic test on it. just to make sure all is good before you Shuck them. How too Video....
Start at 5:20 mark.. I just did the Quick Test (2 minutes) on my 3 - 12TB drives

Last edited:

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
I would just use the “new” folder and maximize its size to how much of the drive you want to use for BI, and have it delete after that. I don’t think there‘s any point of setting up a “stored” folder in the same hard drive and have BI keep moving files.

I got my 14TB yesterday and it is a white label similar to what people reported on reddit.
The “New“ in my case is needing to be larger than my OS drive since it stores video prior to dumping it in the “Stored” folder.

So you are not using a Stored folder at all?

And I had read/heard somewhere that an SSD is not a good place to be writing and rewriting video files.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
The idea is that if New and Stored are on the same disk there is little point allocating some storage to New and some to Stored. You
might as well have just New and write all your clips to there and then allocate all of the space and let BI manage the space so that it deletes older files as the allocation gets used.

erensfd

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The “New“ in my case is needing to be larger than my OS drive since it stores video prior to dumping it in the “Stored” folder.

So you are not using a Stored folder at all?

And I had read/heard somewhere that an SSD is not a good place to be writing and rewriting video files.
That’s correct. I have a purple drive and I gave 90% of the drive size to the “New” folder. Anything over that gets deleted, so I don’t use the “Stored” folder.
I wouldn’t use the SSD drive for videos. I keep the BI clip database in my SSD and my OS.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
The idea is that if New and Stored are on the same disk there is little point allocating some storage to New and some to Stored. You
might as well have just New and write all your clips to there and then allocate all of the space and let BI manage the space so that it deletes older files as the allocation gets used.
That’s correct. I have a purple drive and I gave 90% of the drive size to the “New” folder. Anything over that gets deleted, so I don’t use the “Stored” folder.
I wouldn’t use the SSD drive for videos. I keep the BI clip database in my SSD and my OS.
Okay, this sounds like what I should do. I have 256gb SSD for OS and BI. Should I keep the DB folder there and put everything to New on the shucked 8tb HDD, and not use Stored at all?

What about Alerts folder?

Last edited:

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
db and alerts on SSD.
New on HDD
Don't used stored.

The alerts folder is always empty, unless you click the box 'store alerts as hi res' which you don't need.