UHD 630 graphics driver needed for i7-9700 (HA issues)

piconut

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I've been trying to setup hardware acceleration on a new computer for Blue Iris and over 24 hours, the CPU utilization reaches 100% and the system locks up. The driver listed in the Device Manager on my system for the UHD Graphics 630 is 30.0.101.1191 from 12/3/2021 (this is running on a 9th gen i7-9700 CPU). Does anyone else here use that same CPU and if so, can you please tell me what driver you're using and if it works with hardware acceleration turned on?

Thanks,
Scott from Austin

IntelUHD_Graphics630_driver.PNG

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you running Win10 or Win11? Either way, don't bother with hardware acceleration. Use sub streams instead. I'm running 21 cameras on an I7-6700K and the CPU peaks at around 25% on a bright, sunny, windy day. Normally it's around 20% and drops to 12% at night.

Hardware acceleration was important prior to BI being able to take advantage of sub streams. Now it doesn't even come close to what sub streams will do for you. Typically sub streams will cut CPU utilization by a factor of five to ten which is very significant. Additionally, newer versions of BI and newer graphics drivers don't always play nicely together.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 above.

Substreams is way more beneficial.

The CPU% to offload the video to the GPU is more % than the savings now, coupled with the issues people have been having recently.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh, then yeah that is problematic. Certainly worth the cost of the upgrade for all the BIv5 offers.

piconut

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have a question about substreams. I understand that when viewing multiple cameras, Blue Iris shows the substream but when viewing a single camera, it shows the main stream. I have a high resolution monitor (2560x1440) and I typically have a 4 camera view (2x2) open full screen on it (sometimes windowed). If the substreams are set to a resolution of something like 704x480, then I would imagine that the quality of the view of those 4 cameras would be substantially lower on my monitor than what I'm seeing now (essentially 2 of the substreams would be 1408 pixels wide and that would be scaled to fit the 2560 pixels of my monitor). So if any of the users here also have a monitor that is 2560x1440, could you please post a 4 camera view (2x2) screen shot in full resolution so that I could see if it looks like I would expect? I don't want to go through the process of upgrading to BIv5 and setting up the substreams only to realize that the image quality of what I normally view would be decreased.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That comes down to personal preference. I run most of mine at D1 and 256 bitrate and figure if I need to see something in more detail, I solo the camera and it goes to mainstream.

The biggest factor is the bitrate. Just up the bitrate of the substream until you find it acceptable. It will still provide a tremendous savings over the higher MP mainstream.

A D1 resolution with a 1024 bitrate uses a fraction of the CPU of an 8MP camera. And most cannot tell the difference, especially in a tile layout.

Here is a thread where I posted regarding plates, but the same logic applies. Plate reader software can read a D1 resolution. For just one camera, this resulted in a savings of 30MP/s in BI which is a huge CPU savings with multiple cameras.

1649280543841.png

1649280565384.png