UI3-exported video missing overlay...

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a 2MP 16x9 camera installed in corridor mode. The camera's UI has no provision to rotate the image (only flip & mirror), so i have BI doing that.
I also have disabled the camera's overlay (cuz it ends up on the side) and have BI adding the cam name and timestamp. direct-to-disk is selected.

When exporting clips from UI3 using 'export/start export dialog', i select 're-encode' and 'add current overlay', which produces the image oriented the right way,
but does NOT include the text overlay, despite that being 'on' (see attached)Screenshot_2020-02-25_13-01-37.png

@bp2008: Am I doing something wrong? or is this something that can be fixed in UI3?

Thanx, Paul.

edit: BI version 5.1.0.1

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey @pozzello

Thanks for this report. I will admit, I did not test the overlay flag when Ken and I were implementing this feature. Upon testing now, I see that Blue Iris is treating true as false and false as true. I will let Ken know. In the meantime, try exporting with the overlay disabled. LOL

I also did not test the encoder profile selection. I suppose I should do that.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
that did the trick (disable the overlay to get it). thanx!

I need to enable re-encoding, or the image gets extracted sideways as well.
I just assumed that's needed to orient it properly as well as add the overlay...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, since the camera sends the stream "sideways", that is how it got recorded. Blue Iris can only fix it by re-encoding the video.

I have an unfortunate cam that stops responding after a couple hours if I have it do the rotation in firmware (Dahua, shame on Dahua) so similar to you I had to tell Blue Iris to rotate it instead.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
haven't seen it. is it good?

this birdhouse has no room for stinkin' birds! will post more details as the project comes along...

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
Now on 5.1.0.2, still having an issue with overlays on my BI-rotated cameras, but NOT related to UI3/extraction.

Viewing the (D2D enabled) cams live in the console or the web UI, I see the overlays added.
but when i play back a previosuly recorded alert or clip in the console or webUI, the overlay is missing.
Using either the console or the UI3 extract/convert results in a file WITH the overlay.

Is there no way to get the overlay's playing back D2D-recordings? I figure it must be re-encoding, as the images are properly rotated 90 degrees, so why arent't the overlays getting added?

bug or user error?... thanx.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@pozzello Look in camera properties > Webcast tab. There is a checkbox for "Add camera text/graphic overlays when viewing direct-to-disc BVR". Normally it is checked by default, and still is checked on mine.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
On second thought that shouldn't affect playback in the local console. I'm really not sure what would make the overlays disappear.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
yes, i have that checked. i'll play a bit more with the various settings before i email support, in case it's something i've missed...

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
OK, things seem better now on 5.1.0.4. Perhaps Ken fixed something, or perhaps i just finally found the right combination of settings to get overlay when playing back and expeorting for these cams that need to have BI rotate them. Anyways, the birdhouse cams seem to be doing what I need to ID people & critters walking by.
Some sample videos in the album at: birdhouse cam

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I checked out your album. That is quite a tree you've got there. LOL

Springtime is so pretty. That is still 4-6 weeks away minimum for me ;)