UI3 Preset Thumbnail image Issue

bbarenz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In UI3 the thumbnail images over the preset's used to just show a number but recently after updating to BI 5.245 they now show a blank image icon. I assume this is a feature of UI3 to show a thumbnail of the preset as I've seen this working on another instance of BI but I've never had it work on this computer before and it just stared after updating to BI 52.4.5.. I've searched but I can't seem to find documentation on this feature, what is it called and how do I disable it or update the thumbnails?
preset icon issue.png

This is the other version of BI where the thumbnails work but show outdated images of old presets and need to be updated:
BiOtherone.png

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@bbarenz See release notes in the help file, settings are in the ptz tab>edit presets.

bbarenz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Could you be more specific? I'm not seeing anything in the help file related to this issue. As I said I'm not even sure what the feature is called or what the default behavior is supposed to be. I'm seeing different behavior across different BI systems.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Could you be more specific? I'm not seeing anything in the help file related to this issue. As I said I'm not even sure what the feature is called or what the default behavior is supposed to be. I'm seeing different behavior across different BI systems.
Its in the release notes at the beginning that is updated with every significant update as well as on the forum in the whats new section. Its different because you have not set it up. Go to the settings page as indicated and set the images. It is also in the manual on page 38.

bbarenz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Its in the release notes at the beginning that is updated with every significant update as well as on the forum in the whats new section. Its different because you have not set it up. Go to the settings page as indicated and set the images. It is also in the manual on page 38.
Thank you for the help. Where can I find the manual? All I could find is this extremely lite online help menu: UI3 Help
I scoured the settings page and I can't find anything that looks to be even remotely related to this feature. Without knowing what the feature is called there isn't much more I can do which lead me to posting on the forum.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for the help. Where can I find the manual? All I could find is this extremely lite online help menu: UI3 Help
I scoured the settings page and I can't find anything that looks to be even remotely related to this feature. Without knowing what the feature is called there isn't much more I can do which lead me to posting on the forum.
blue iris help file in the server software - hit the question mark. I posted exactly where to find the setting and where to find the the info.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
This feature does not have a formal name. The way it works is when Blue Iris sets a PTZ preset, it will capture a snapshot of the camera's current view and associate it with that preset number. This image then gets shown in UI3, and since BI 5.2.4.5, it also gets shown in Blue Iris in the Edit Presets panel.

BI 5.2.4.5 also started sending a placeholder image to UI3 for every ptz position that does not have a saved snapshot. So what you are seeing is that placeholder image. I asked the developer to revert that particular change, which he did in BI 5.2.4.6. If you update to that, behavior will return to normal. You could also assign all the presets again so that Blue Iris saves snapshots for them. I recommend doing it through UI3 so you can assign names to the presets more easily.

bbarenz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
To help anyone else who has this issue the setting is NOT in UI3 but rather in Blue Iris under the PTZ camera Presets section. Looking in UI3 was the source of my confusion. Circled red in the screenshot below, it has no name or description which makes it tricky to find. Unfortunately I don't see an option to disable it and show the classic preset numbers instead which would be nice to have as an option.

1586406428581.png

This

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Read my most recent post just above for the solution.

The preset numbers are shown in UI3 when Blue Iris fails to deliver the snapshot that is saved for a preset image. So when Blue Iris suddenly started delivering that placeholder image, every preset that didn't have a saved image started looking like an envelope-back.

bbarenz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This feature does not have a formal name. The way it works is when Blue Iris sets a PTZ preset, it will capture a snapshot of the camera's current view and associate it with that preset number. This image then gets shown in UI3, and since BI 5.2.4.5, it also gets shown in Blue Iris in the Edit Presets panel.

BI 5.2.4.5 also started sending a placeholder image to UI3 for every ptz position that does not have a saved snapshot. So what you are seeing is that placeholder image. I asked the developer to revert that particular change, which he did in BI 5.2.4.6. If you update to that, behavior will return to normal. You could also assign all the presets again so that Blue Iris saves snapshots for them. I recommend doing it through UI3 so you can assign names to the presets more easily.
Thanks for the info! I just updated to 5.4.6 and the issue has gone away. Without and image assigned it shows the default preset numbers as expected. Thank you so much for the reply and the continued excellence you bring to BI.

bbarenz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Read my most recent post just above for the solution.

The preset numbers are shown in UI3 when Blue Iris fails to deliver the snapshot that is saved for a preset image. So when Blue Iris suddenly started delivering that placeholder image, every preset that didn't have a saved image started looking like an envelope-back.

bbarenz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My apologies I didn't see your reply until I updated the post but all is working now thank you.

bbarenz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, I figured. I was just making sure you didn't miss it.
When you hover over the preset I really like the large preview of the image however even on a 70" TV the thumbnails are too small to make out. A good option may be to keep the preset numbers like the classic option but when you hover the images pop up like they do with the new feature. Anyway just some user feedback. Thank you!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I can appreciate that. Initially I left out little settings like this due to the clutter they cause in a huge settings panel. But that is a war I lost a long time ago.