UI3 setting for clip preview fast-forward speed

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Looking for where you can set the FF speed in the preview pane for stored clips. When you hover your mouse over the clip preview image it'll fast forward super fast but can give you an idea of what transpired during the clip...but don't blink, LOL. The default must be 1000x speed.

Capture.JPG

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looking for where you can set the FF speed in the preview pane for stored clips. When you hover your mouse over the clip preview image it'll fast forward super fast but can give you an idea of what transpired during the clip...but don't blink, LOL. The default must be 1000x speed.

View attachment 55932
Can't be changed. And it's best when used with alerts, not hour long clips.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
That isn't a set speed really, it just gives you 8 frames evenly spaced through the alert/clip, then repeats.
On clips it seems like it more like skips every 8 minutes instead of frames. For the alerts it works fine with every 8 frames. It'd be a sweet feature if on the clips you could select the speed as sometimes things occur that you didn't necessarily want to trigger an alert but want to check to see if someone was walking down the street during the clip.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It does not display every 8th frame. It shows you 8 frames, evenly spaced across the duration of the clip or alert item. For a 60 minute clip, the 8 preview frames will be at these timestamps:

1. 0s
2. 7m30s
3. 15m
4. 22m30s
5. 30m
6. 37m30s
7. 45m
8. 52m30s

And then it loops back to the start. It tries to load each frame 200ms after the previous one so you get a preview frame rate of (up to) 5 FPS, and it only takes about 1.6 seconds to complete a loop.

Imagine you were to make this preview show a frame every 2 seconds instead. Now it takes 6 minutes to preview a 1 hour clip (or longer, if Blue Iris can't keep up with the 5 FPS preview rate).

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
It does not display every 8th frame. It shows you 8 frames, evenly spaced across the duration of the clip or alert item. For a 60 minute clip, the 8 preview frames will be at these timestamps:

1. 0s
2. 7m30s
3. 15m
4. 22m30s
5. 30m
6. 37m30s
7. 45m
8. 52m30s

And then it loops back to the start. It tries to load each frame 200ms after the previous one so you get a preview frame rate of (up to) 5 FPS, and it only takes about 1.6 seconds to complete a loop.

Imagine you were to make this preview show a frame every 2 seconds instead. Now it takes 6 minutes to preview a 1 hour clip (or longer, if Blue Iris can't keep up with the 5 FPS preview rate).
I think I was asking for something else. I'll double click the 1hour clip to pull up the full view and just select the xSpeed as usual. Just thought it'd be a nice touch to use this same technique with long clip previews...alerts is fine but clips it's typically not helpful to me how I was hopeful it could be used.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
No need to double-click.

Sorry about the speed not being suitable for long clips, but it is just the nature of the beast. If I slow it down, it takes longer to preview the clip, and then all the inadequacies of the preview method start to matter a lot more (high CPU cost, poor frame rate, low resolution, no controls at all) not to mention if you mouse off of a clip then you have to start the preview over from the beginning.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
It's not a big deal...I just thought it would be nice but I have no clue as to what could make it happen or possible....just thought I'd ask. Thanks for the explanation.