UI3 slow to load, lagging

Ben Coray

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all,

This is an amazing forum. Thanks to the info I've here I've been able to jump into the IP cam world. I am tinkering with a modest setup consisting of the following:

BI running as a service on an Intel i5 repurposed computer (win10 pro) from work.
1 x 2mp dahua turret
1 x 3 hikvision dome
1 x 4mp Onwote bullet
all cams set to 15 fps and variable bit rates.

Right now the cameras are setup temporarily to test the system. Full build out plan is for all 2mp Dahua turrets. Thinking of going with 4-5 cams total.

I'm using the BI Iphone app and find that it works really well. No lag and very responsive. I have setup a VPN on my Netgear nighthawk router for remote access.

Trouble I'm having is with UI3 on either a computer in my home network or at my office (fiber internet) using the vpn to access UI3 thru the BI machine's url. Symptoms include really slow load times (lots of circle spinning). When the camera images finally load, UI3 quickly notifies me that the stream is becoming delayed. I've tried changing the H.264 player from HTML5 to Java. This improves the situation slightly. If I choose JPEG High, the images load immediately.

Let me know what additional info would be needed to troubleshoot and I provide it. It seems odd that I have the problem both within machines on my LAN and working remotely thru the VPN, yet the iphone app works flawlessly on my LAN or on LTE thru the VPN. I'm guessing I've got a setting messed up somewhere but can't seem to find it. CPU usage on the machines running UI3 is not spiking. Usually running around 15-30%.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Ben
Salt Lake City

Ben Coray

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm showing my ignorance here. I don't believe I am using stunnel. I need to do more reading on this apparently.

I setup a vpn on my netgear router and on my pc at work. I can access the individual camera ip addresses fine thru the vpn. When I try to open UI3 by accessing the BI computer's ip address and port it loads the UI3 interface but takes several minutes to load the camera views if I have the resolution set to anything greater than jpeg hd.

I have this same lag, although not as severe, on a laptop on my home wifi network.

Since the jpeg hd works fine and fast I'm wondering if there is a codec issue with my browsers?? I have found Firefox works better than Chrome with UI3 at work. By better, I mean it still lags but eventually loads the camera views. Sometimes Chrome will sit with the UI3 interface just showing the spinning circle for an hour.

Seems odd that I'm having the lag across multiple computers and both within and outside my LAN. Makes me think I've got setting wrong in BI.

Ben Coray

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Looney,

I have played with adjusting the bit rate settings in UI3 but that didn't fix the issue of being slow to load. I mispoke, the computer running blue iris has an i7-2600 3.4 ghz processor and 16 gb ram. I pulled 2 machines from our boneyard are work. The other is an i5 that I'm keeping as a backup.

I have done some additional troubleshooting. UI3 works really well on a desktop connected to my LAN. For fun, I took the desktop off the LAN and used a verizon hotpot to connect back into my network thru the VPN. UI3 still worked great on that machine. I'm starting to think my lagging problems may be computer-specific and have nothing to do with my BI machine or settings. The laptop with the problems is older, so I'm not too surprised. My work pc is only a year old so I wonder there.

The documentation for UI3 says it's optimized for Chrome but I get the worst performance with UI3 on Chrome on my work PC compared to firefox.

Thoughts?

nejakejnick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I updated yesterday to 4.8.6.3 (after 4.7.6.8 leaked about 40GB of memory and killed everything :), I think not restarting for half a year had something to do with it).
Since then I noticed that UI3 takes ~15s to start playing an alert (some faster, some slower, both GIF and H264 on Chrome), while BI loads it instantaneously.
I record to NAS, so it makes things slower, but it was usable before.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi @Ben Coray

Any time Jpeg streams are fast but H.264 streams are slow, the likely culprit is internet security software of some kind (most likely on the devices you open UI3 on) intercepting your web traffic to scan for viruses. Try excluding your Blue Iris address from all such software.

Also, Firefox's H.264 player is not very good. It does not handle low-delay video streams well. For UI3, you are much better off using Chrome, Opera, Brave, or another browser that is based on chromium/webkit.

Millstone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm showing my ignorance here. I don't believe I am using stunnel. I need to do more reading on this apparently.
I'm asking because in the last point release of BI, there was something that caused these symptoms if a certain parameter was enabled in Stunnel. The one that talks about a Microsoft bug workaround.

Ben Coray

n3wb
Reaction score
@bp2008

Thank you for your insight. You're theory was right on. Both my work PC and the laptop in question (a retired unit from work) have Sophos Endpoint installed. Disabling Sophos allowed UI3 to load high res video with little to no delay. I'm working with our IT group to see if I can somehow whitelist OpenVPN or the IP address of my home BI machine. I'm outside my experience with the VPN. I'm not sure Sophos sees my home LAN address or if if the traffic is routing through a third party solution thru Netgear's (my router manufacturer) VPN service. In other words, I'm not sure what to tell Sophos to whitelist. I'll do some homework and report back if/when I find the answer in case someone else could benefit.

Thanks to the others as well who offered suggestions. It helped me learn about the myriad of setting in the BI software!

sp3ctre

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just wanted to add to this, I found this topic after experiencing the same issue, slow H264 stream.... binned Sophos and now it's back to normal!

65kfoster

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank yall so much for this. I was facing the same issue and tried everything to figure it out. Uninstalled sophos and bam it works perfectly.

dolsey01

n3wb
Reaction score
I turned off all the Premium features since they will not work after the free trial and I'm now able to see my cameras. Not sure which one was the culprit but basic real-time scanning and web protection are still functioning.