UK CCTV install.......Running Cat6 POE cable through Soil stack box section.

J273

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all.

Im UK based so not sure if its different elsewhere but i have a soil stack pipe which run from my kitchen up and out the roof which is housed in a box section (2ft x 1ft). I have my NVR + POE switch located in the loft and would ideally like to run 4 x cat6 cables and an HDMI lead through the box section itself and drop them down under the kitchen plinths.

Ive ran a string line down and can easily feed the cables down/up no problem but im unsure on whether this is a good idea and has anyone else done the same? There is one socket housed on the box section itself in my kitchen and i can see the cable coming out in the loft.

Any advice would be great.

Many thanks

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi all.

Im UK based so not sure if its different elsewhere but i have a soil stack pipe which run from my kitchen up and out the roof which is housed in a box section (2ft x 1ft). I have my NVR + POE switch located in the loft and would ideally like to run 4 x cat6 cables and an HDMI lead through the box section itself and drop them down under the kitchen plinths.

Ive ran a string line down and can easily feed the cables down/up no problem but im unsure on whether this is a good idea and has anyone else done the same? There is one socket housed on the box section itself in my kitchen and i can see the cable coming out in the loft.

Any advice would be great.

Many thanks
I'm far from an expert but I don't see an issue with this. The pipe doesn't heat up like a hot water supply line would. And if there's electrical wiring already in the box, I'm sure low voltage cable would be fine.

Just try to keep the cables you're running as far from the electric wiring as possible. Maybe consider a shielded cable to reduce any chance of electrical interference as possible.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'd check with local electrical codes first (if applicable in your area) as most do not allow line voltage cables (AC power to lights, receptacles, etc.) in the same conduit and/or junction box as low voltage cables and devices (DC power, telephone, Ethernet, alarm, etc.).

Also, the line voltage frequency (50 or 60 Hz) can play havoc with video and particularly audio cables of high impedance.

J273

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok thankyou. I plan on pulling a plastic conduit down first and then run all the cables in that.

The HDMI cable I can run that elsewhere so that's not a problem and could leave that out but ideally having 4 x cat6 in a conduit would make my installation alot easier.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Soil stack or fall pipe (toilet or gutter)?

Running anything through a soil pipe would likely be illegal in the UK. I don't know the regs but they are quite tight on soil pipes due to bacterial / viral leakage into yards and also gaseous leakage into homes.

Personally, I'd just clip the cable to the wall unless you're paranoid about it being cut, which is unlikely unless you're high value and expecting professional thieves or live in a very bad neighbourhood, in which case you can buy outdoor electrical conduit which is a thick galvanised steel quite cheaply. Look on your local Toolstation or Screwfix website for this. My cameras are fed cable from behind so no cable directly from the camera exposed. If you can't avoid this, look to steel conduit.

I've used a short length of speedfit plumbing pipe on my carport (it's uv stable and quite tough), and the rest of the way, the cable is exposed. The location of my cable means you'd be on camera before you could get to where you could cut it and it's not obvious it's a cctv cable in any event. Plus I have SD cards in camera. All bases covered this side of needing to go to steel conduit for the reasons I outlined above.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
has anyone else done the same?
I have several ethernet cables dropping down a box section that encloses a soil vent pipe. The box section extends for the full height of the house.
It's a handy way to route from the loft area all the way down to the underfloor area of the ground floor of the house.
There are no other cables in the box section, so no issues with required separation from other electrical sources.

Running anything through a soil pipe would likely be illegal in the UK.
Sure - but the idea is simply to drop the cables down the box section that encloses the SVP (soil vent pipe) as opposed to having them within the pipe itself.
Inside the pipe is neither necessary nor sensible.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
If the soil pipe is boxed in and he's dropping them down the outer, then no safety issue. Personally, I've never seen a soil pipe boxed in. The only issue I can see is without taking the boxing section off, the cable will hang loose which could make it prone to movement in the wind causing either noise or wear. Then again if it's clipped tightly to the wall on entry and exit, issue probably overcome.