uk private investigator

Reaction score
Hi all,
Thanks for having me. I came across your site by chance really, as I was looking up info on the reolink 411s camera. Having read up on it I am still none the wiser as to whether this type of cam is what I am looking for...maybe you guys can help me out?
I am a PI and am looking for a camera set up that is easy to set up and can be placed into a vehicle or temporary building, preferably battery powered( I was thinking of using a car/leisure battery to hook up for longer periods of deployment?) The 411s seems to kind of fit the bill.
The set up needs to be able to detect motion so I don't have to sift through days and days of footage, it must be at least 1080p, if it has infrared even better, plus it needs to record to its own sd card or whatever, so IP's not really necessary.
Any Info you guys can give me would be appreciated,cheers

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
well I went and bought a dahua ipc hdw5231rp-z
the version previously mentioned had no letter P in it? but it looks the same but no dahua logo on top?
must I set it up on a computer/laptop or can I somehow set it up using a tablet or mobile phone. The idea is to generally have it as a standalone camera hooked upto a 12v battery.....having read the manual/instructions my brains are now minced!
Any help greatly appreciated,
Cheers
Seaneyborney

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You will need to set it up from a computer. The default IP is 192.168.1.108, login is admin/admin.

As it is NOT wireless, you will need to use a laptop to view it. Unless you add a WiFi access point to it to make it wireless.

Reaction score
Thanks looney2ns,
do I need to download any software to operate it, and is the connection via the Ethernet socket to laptop ? once I am able to set up via the laptop I assume I can then take the laptop away and the camera will carry on recording to the sd card? cheers

Reaction score
You will need to set it up from a computer. The default IP is 192.168.1.108, login is admin/admin.

As it is NOT wireless, you will need to use a laptop to view it. Unless you add a WiFi access point to it to make it wireless.
How exactly do I fire this camera up with a laptop? do I need to download software to operate it? which leads do I need to do this, the camera has a power lead and a network/ethernet lead. I have ordered a 12v power lead to connect to the battery I have ensured it is fused. I could do with some advice on setting the thing up and using it,any help appreciated,cheers

Jinx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Plug the Ethernet into laptop and camera, plug 12v in camera, then put 192.168.1.108 in your internet browser address bar, hit enter and you will be at login as Looney writes above.

Note, viewing picture is a pain in some browsers.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks looney2ns,
do I need to download any software to operate it, and is the connection via the Ethernet socket to laptop ? once I am able to set up via the laptop I assume I can then take the laptop away and the camera will carry on recording to the sd card? cheers
Use Google Chrome browser on the laptop. Add the extension IE Tab to Chrome. IE Tab

Then you can use the IP address 192.168.1.108 to login to the cam.

Yes, as long as you set everything up correctly, you then should be able to let the cam continue to record to the SD card.

I suggest you do all of this at home, and not at a job site the first time. ;)

Reaction score
Thanks guys for all your posts so far, but I am about to throw this bloody camera through a window! grrr
I am connecting the camera to my laptop by plugging a 12v socket to the power cord and then connecting a cat 6 network cable to the other and then to the network port on my laptop.
The laptop is running windows 7. when I connect the power lead onto the 12v connector on the camera I hear a faint click and can see small movement in the lens.
I have tried to use various ip cam sites such as ispyconnect and the one that comes on the camera software. I have shown the camera ip address as 192.168.1.108, 192.168.1.12 and neither seems to work, I have tried doing as asked by just typing 192.168.1.108 into the browser...tried ie, google, yahoo,chrome but nothing comes up except site suggestions for connecting your router....can anybody help me, ie a step by step idiots guide to connecting or any suggestions...other than give up! cheers all

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
then connecting a cat 6 network cable to the other and then to the network port on my laptop.
If your laptop has the network set as 'obtain an address automatically' (ie DHCP) then in the absence of a DHCP server it will create a 'self-adminstered address' that will not work with the camera.
If so - set a static IP address on the laptop, such as 192.168.1.200