Ultra Low profile stills / face ID options? (POE alternative to door cam)

Reaction score
I have a pretty good xprotect + backup NVR system going and just swapped out a manual varifocal GW 5MP cam for dahua 4MP starlight turret 2.8. It's mounted above the door offset to the side a bit. Aesthetically it's great and out of the way and the view is perfect for IVS to catch anyone creeping around. However, face ID is a bit rough and the sweet spot is 15 feet away walking to the front door before curvature of the view and min focus make it too weird of an angle, even then it's still not the best angle, bit too high.

My old varifocal was mounted underneath a flower box on the railing and about shoulder height for most people, the angle easily caught faces of any idiots in hoodies peddling fake charity door to door or general sketch-balls that double take walking by that might be casing the neighborhood. (My area is so-so, there's crime nearby often but we mostly have to worry bout unlocked car thefts and fake/sketchy sales people casing houses)

I took the old cam down because it was just huge, ugly, awkwardly mounted and in the way, as well as not a real starlight model so even zoomed in at night it wasn't much use.

I basically need something like a doorbell cam, but I hate ring/nest etc, can't mount any of them in the area and wifi stinks of course. I know there are tons of cheap micro cameras little more than postage stamp board and a lens but they are awful at low light.

It doesn't even need to take consistent video, I can trigger it like a trail/hunting cam just to snag faces walking up to house or near the street parked cars etc.

Is there any very low profile, low light, POE option that could either be mounted incognito near the door or a very very small bullet cam with good low light, varifocal etc. Something flat with small sensor, low megapixel, but 6mm or so could work? Guessing true starlight models are very limited to the standard bullet/turret/dome sizes though.

Dahua is great overall, is there any rebrand or OEM model that fits into this scope?

Grn1z

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This may suit your needs. If not there is a list of dahua starlight as a sticky at the top of 1st page of dahua forum.