Unable to add IPC-T5442 to Synology Surveillance Station

dohdoh

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm new to ipcamtalk and have been reading for the past couple of weeks and finally decided to dive in and try to install a IPC-T5442 camera based on all the recs. My camera just arrived yesterday and I plan to test it out first with Synology Surveillance Station as I have a Synology NAS.
I have the camera connected to an unmanaged POE switch and I connect my PC to it to change static IP and password.
I was able to change ip and password of camera using ipconfig tool and I'm able to connect directly via ip in browser to the camera.

One of the network ports of SS is connected to the POE switch.
However, when I try to add camera to SS I cannot find the model. So I tried to set it up using Dahua brand and Dahua generic but I get error when trying to authenticate the camera. I've try both HTTP and HTTPS ports but it will not authenticate in SS.

Any experts out there know what I'm doing wrong?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There is a thread here someone stating the way it is coded in the firmware about the model name is the issue. The workaround is to flash it with Dahua firmware.

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
:welcome:

Having used both Synology and Blue Iris with Dahua cameras. BI was much easier to implement and setup.

Synology PITA.

Blue Iris, using default settings and the guides here almost plug n play.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Is there an option for ONVIF or RTSP as camera models? Might try that if so.

dohdoh

n3wb
Reaction score
Synology PITA
Thanks. I'm new to all of this and am testing the waters with the free license that I have with the NAS.

Can you elaborate on why synology is PITA compared to Blue Iris?

I would like to setup a good system with the thoughts of eventually hooking up to a home automation software with something like Home Assistant or similar. I welcome any recommendations, thoughts and experiences that might help steer me from wasted time and effort.

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm new to all of this and am testing the waters with the free license that I have with the NAS.

Can you elaborate on why synology is PITA compared to Blue Iris?

I would like to setup a good system with the thoughts of eventually hooking up to a home automation software with something like Home Assistant or similar. I welcome any recommendations, thoughts and experiences that might help steer me from wasted time and effort.
It looks like you solved your problem.

In my experience Synology was not intuitive at all, lots of technical jargon that I had a hard time deciphering. When I tried BI, I followed the guide and after a minor glitch or two I was up and running with the help of this forum.

Synology is a great NAS and I still use it as such but I have a dedicated Windows 10 PC for Blue Iris. I am running six cameras and have a few more NIB unmounted that need permanent locations.

Clark Griswald

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Obviously late to the party, yet I had zero issues seeing-and-adding my IPC-HDW5231R-ZE to Synology Surveillance Station (current).

dt-cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Obviously late to the party, yet I had zero issues seeing-and-adding my IPC-HDW5231R-ZE to Synology Surveillance Station (current).
i don't have this camera, but i do have 3rd party dahua and hikvision cameras connected to surveillance station. i record 24/7 so i'm not concerned with recording on motion, but i am curious if 3rd party cameras and send data/events triggered in the camera web gui over to surveillance station, do you know if that is possible?

for example, i have the camera set up to detect vehicles and humans (but i just enabled that in the camera web gui i still need to see that it works in the camera web gui) but assuming it does, i'm not sure if it possible to send those events/etc over to surveillance station.

jjj666

n3wb
Reaction score
i don't have this camera, but i do have 3rd party dahua and hikvision cameras connected to surveillance station. i record 24/7 so i'm not concerned with recording on motion, but i am curious if 3rd party cameras and send data/events triggered in the camera web gui over to surveillance station, do you know if that is possible?

for example, i have the camera set up to detect vehicles and humans (but i just enabled that in the camera web gui i still need to see that it works in the camera web gui) but assuming it does, i'm not sure if it possible to send those events/etc over to surveillance station.
Depending on the camera's ability and how its configured in SS. If the camera is listed in SS (or connected via ONVIF) then you will see motion triggered in your recordings. I have been focusing on using cams that have IVS detection rules which make a big difference for use with SS.