Unable to configure People Counting on IPC-HFW7442H-Z4

Slacker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am attempting to configure people counting on IPC-HFW7442H-Z4 camera. When I clear the line and try to draw a new one, I can't get the line to end. You can see in my picture how it just keeps going. I have tried with chrome, firefox, and Edge all with the same result. Camera firmware version is V2.800.0000000.2.R, Build Date: 2019-09-30 which is the latest Dahua logo firmware version from Andy. Any suggestions?

1573427382629.png

Slacker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Try right click to stop the line
Thanks. That worked. I clicked left click to stop the line and then right click completed it. The arrow through the line only points one direction though. I tried drawing the line the opposite direction bottom to top instead of top to bottom but that had no effect. I'm not sure if that matters because this is my first attempt to mess with AI settings.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@Slacker When using people counting you are generally 1) drawing an area to capture people moving into or out of OR 2) a line to capture people in a set direction (into a store or out of a store for example) so depending on what you want to accomplish, can set accordingly.
For scenario 1 you would choose In Area and for scenarios 2, People Counting as the Rule Type.
Hope that helps but reach out if you need more assistance.

Thanks. That worked. I clicked left click to stop the line and then right click completed it. The arrow through the line only points one direction though. I tried drawing the line the opposite direction bottom to top instead of top to bottom but that had no effect. I'm not sure if that matters because this is my first attempt to mess with AI settings.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The direction is a separate parameter on mine, not influenced by the line you draw
Usually labeled A<>B or A> and such

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@Slacker @bigredfish is absolutely right that on a lot of cams models line shows separately and you choose direction as mentioned (A/B). On the 7442 shows as 1 direction that you can set or use in area. Slightly different on this cam & it’s current FW. You should be able to add more than 1 people counting line BUT I found what appears to be a bug in testing the current FW so am reporting it back.

The direction is a separate parameter on mine, not influenced by the line you draw
Usually labeled A<>B or A> and such

Last edited:

Slacker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My NVR is showing the A<>B option as @bigredfish mentioned however it is missing from the cameras GUI. I still can't get a simple rule to work. I thought I had it set correct and I walked back and forth in front of the camera several times. Then when I do an AI search from the NVR, it shows no data. I'm using an NVR4416-16P-4KS2 with DH_NVR4XXX-4KS2_MultiLang_V4.000.0000001.1.R.190830.bin firmware.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@Slacker
Yes the NVR will work, the bug I’m talking about is in the cam FW affecting the web GUI. Due to the issue with the web GUI, have you tried setting the People Counting rule up in the NVR directly using AI, Parameters, People Counting, Select the cam channel and defining the rules there ? Make sure you delete any People Counting rules set in the web GUI first.

My NVR is showing the A<>B option as @bigredfish mentioned however it is missing from the cameras GUI. I still can't get a simple rule to work. I thought I had it set correct and I walked back and forth in front of the camera several times. Then when I do an AI search from the NVR, it shows no data. I'm using an NVR4416-16P-4KS2 with DH_NVR4XXX-4KS2_MultiLang_V4.000.0000001.1.R.190830.bin firmware.

Last edited:

Slacker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Wildcat_1 I deleted the rule from the camera and then when I went to the NVR, it said "get config failed". I recreated the rule on the camera and it seems to work now. There is no way to delete and create the rule from the NVR, only on the camera. Another thing to note that I may have done wrong is that People Detection needs to be enabled in Smart Plan on the NVR first before People Counting will work. I can now go to Smart Search > People Counting on the NVR and when I choose Search, it shows a count of how many times I entered and exited.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@Slacker yes you absolutely need Smart Plan enabled on People Counting for it to work, that’s a must. If you didn’t have that set, the rules would never trigger. You also can adjust the rules (draw areas and lines) in the NVR BUT you must have Smart Plan set to People Counting first. To remove the rules in the NVR you just choose clear next to area or rule. So you can achieve either way BUT again must have Smart Plan set and enabled. Also remember that the line rules still apply where you choose A to B or B to A (in NVR) then if you want totals in an area you use the In Area rule I mentioned earlier

@Wildcat_1 I deleted the rule from the camera and then when I went to the NVR, it said "get config failed". I recreated the rule on the camera and it seems to work now. There is no way to delete and create the rule from the NVR, only on the camera. Another thing to note that I may have done wrong is that People Detection needs to be enabled in Smart Plan on the NVR first before People Counting will work. I can now go to Smart Search > People Counting on the NVR and when I choose Search, it shows a count of how many times I entered and exited.