Unable to connect Speco N8NXP NVR with Lorex or Hikvision cameras via ONVIF

airetiac

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been banging my head against this one for a little while now. I am out of ideas, and figured before I return it, I will ask here.

I purchased the Speco NVR with the hopes of replacing a Lorex NVR that got fried by a lightning strike.

I connected some of the cameras that were already installed, and they were not found. Thinking they also might have been impacted by the lightning hit, I plugged in a camera that was not used from the Lorex kit. Same issue, it isn't found. Now, the IR light turns on when it gets dark, so the camera is getting PoE.

I plugged in my laptop to verify DHCP was providing IPs, and it is. I static-assigned an IP in the DHCP range (which I couldn't set anywhere in the menu, it seems) and attempted to manually recognize the camera, still won't see it. My Lorex cameras specifically say ONVIF network ports, and the manual connection I was using was ONVIF.

I have a Hikvision turret dome, and attempted the same configuration on that camera, thinking the Lorex aren't compatible. Still won't be seen.

I am out of ideas as to how to make this NVR work with the cameras I have, and would appreciate any advice from the folks here.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I am out of ideas as to how to make this NVR work with the cameras I have, and would appreciate any advice from the folks here.
I'm guessing from a quick look at the user manual that this is an NVR much like Swann's where it is sufficiently proprietary that it only supports a specific range of their own cameras.
The manual has no reference to ONVIF in it, just a proprietary connection protocol.

What guided the purchase choice?

**edit**
I think this says it all -
Add a camera manually. Specify the IP address, RTSP
port, HTTP, user name, and password.
Note:
 Multiple protocols are supported. Speco A is the main protocol
for Speco’s IP cameras. For certain cameras that have additional
capabilities, the Speco B protocol can be used for more control
through the NVR. This includes changing image settings, video
loss detection, tampering detection, camera offline detection,
and camera firmware upgrade
It may be best to return the NVR and buy one that will be compatible with the cameras.

airetiac

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm guessing from a quick look at the user manual that this is an NVR much like Swann's where it is sufficiently proprietary that it only supports a specific range of their own cameras.
The manual has no reference to ONVIF in it, just a proprietary connection protocol.

What guided the purchase choice?

**edit**
I think this says it all -

It may be best to return the NVR and buy one that will be compatible with the cameras.
Thanks for the reply. I purchased due to how cheap the NVR was from B&H Photo. In the listing from them it does say it supports most ONVIF cameras.

From the troubleshooting I've done, I believe you are right. I was just hoping I missed something really dumb.