Unable to Initialize 5231R-ZE after Hard Reset

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Yesterday afternoon I powered down the POE switch to 6 of my cameras (to install a additional electrical outlet).
When restored the power, 1 of my 2 DH-IPC-HDW5231R-ZE cameras showed as no connection in in Blue Iris.
I did try swapping the port the cable was connected to on POE switch... no joy.
As I had other chores to complete, I let it go overnight.

When I woke up, I noticed the camera reconnected on its own (~4:15 am), and Blue Iris starting recording.
Around 8:30a I discovered that the camera was no longer executing commands sent to it via scripts using Dahua's API.
I confirmed the same behavior via the camera's web interface. Likewise via the Blue Iris PTZ menu.

At this point I decided to check the hardware.
I pulled down the camera and tested the cable... it tested OK.
I relocated the camera beside to the POE switch and attached a short pre-made cable.
This put me back to the day before - Blue Iris again showed no connection.

Next I opened the camera body and performed a hard reset (depressed the button for 30 seconds).
Since resetting the camera I've observed the following:.
  1. Dahua Config Tool: I had to repeatedly refresh the list to get the camera to appear (as 192.162.1.108), and
    when it did finally appear (5-10 refreshes), I could never successfully complete initialization.
  2. Browser (Microsoft Edge): Whenever I tried to type 192.162.1.108 in the address bar, the browser always timed out (refused to connect).
  3. Observations 1 & 2 persisted despite the fact that I could see the camera as 192.162.1.108 in the device list in the router's web page.
More weirdness... while monitoring the router's device list, the camera's IP would sometimes cycle between 192.168.1.108 and 192.168.1.251.
So I tried the following... but continued to observed the same behavior.
  • I removed the camera's MAC from the manually assigned IP list and rebooted the router
  • I assigned the camera to IP 192.162.1.108 and rebooted the router
I suppose It's possible that power cycling the POE switch caused this problem. However, we have probably experienced 10 power outages since installing the camera. It's always come back online without a hiccup.

Any suggestions before I replace the camera? It is out of warranty I'm sure; I purchased and installed it in Dec 2018.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is an old enough camera that it will be browser dependent.

Try Internet Explorer, not Edge with the IE plug-in or Chrome with the IE plug-in, but plain old IE that is baked into WIN10 by simply typing in the search Explorer.

If that doesn't work, then try the Pale Moon browser. I had a camera that wouldn't initialize with IE, but Pale Moon worked.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks... No joy yet. I cannot even get a connection to prompt for the plug-in.

Left to right... Edge, IE, Pale Moon, Firefox, Brave

1642546170335.png

Here's the current device list from my Asus router...

1642546236943.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ugh - when I had a camera do this, I held the reset button in for like 2 minutes. I heard the filter click several times during that process. Only then did I get access to it.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Still stuck on ugh...

Here's the button I'm depressing... if it's the right one, I think it's in a slightly different position than I've see in other posts.

1642548157093.png

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you hear anything at all when you reset?

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
If you are referring to wittage's "filter click" sound, I don't think so.
However, I was in the garage with a humming low-voltage timer, and furnace fan noises, etc. I may have missed it.

Should I have heard something?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, you should hear the IR filter clicking.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Try holding the reset button as it powers up? Shouldn't have to but what the hell...

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks. That is what I was trying to do... I'll try again and report back... It may be tomorrow.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Ok. Tried again several times. No joy. I'm hearing no sound like the IR filter clicking.

Also noticed for first time that while the button is depressed, a green LED inside the camera illuminates at a frequency of 5 seconds on / 11-12 seconds off.
When I release the button the frequency changes to something like 16 seconds on / 8 seconds off.
Does anyone know if this is a diagnostic indicator?

I think I'm ready to give up. What is the current recommendation for a replacement for the 5231R-ZE?
Is it the T5442TM-AS?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The 5442T-ZE is the equivalent to the 5231T-ZE but better than the 5231T-ZE. The 5442TM-As is a fixed focal length version, 2.8mm, 3.6mm and 6mm variants.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
The green light likely is some kind of indicator. Maybe he can tell you that too. I'd be curious to know just for future reference.
Just to follow up... I was unable to get a response regarding the meaning/function of the green LED pattern.

I did purchase and install two new T5442-ZE cameras.
Fun fact: I ordered the cameras from Andy on 1/20. I received them the NEXT DAY.