Unable to rename 3rd party/Onvif cameras on Dahua XVR/NVR

cbt20

n3wb
Reaction score
This is a fairly recent issue with I've been having with Dahua that I've found no solution for. So in essence, there seems to be no way to rename the channels for 3rd party cameras (Herospeed firmware) on either XVR's or NVR's. Every time you attempt to rename the channels either through SmartPSS or the recorder, it always reverts back to the default name, in this case IPC. I've also tried renaming the cameras through the camera's config page, but with no luck. The last known firmware that I can get to save the channel names is from November 2019, so there seems to be some compatibility issue. The cameras I've tested are on Onvif 2.4 and the NVR is Onvif 2.41, could that actually be causing the communication issue?

MC1987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
They are 3rd party cameras, why dont you just log into the cameras and set the name in there?

cbt20

n3wb
Reaction score
They are 3rd party cameras, why dont you just log into the cameras and set the name in there?
Well, like I said, already tried that. The channel name still doesn’t save.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A lot of these cameras, regardless of who makes them, are developed around a particular browser, in most cases Internet Explorer. Try that browser and see if it holds.

We have seen many cameras where a setting is made in Chrome with IE add-on and it will not stick, but with IE it does.

paul@austins.tv

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have experienced this problem.
You need to log into each camera, one at a time. Change channel name, then log into XVR or NVR and hit refresh. Do the same for other cameras.

cbt20

n3wb
Reaction score
I have experienced this problem.
You need to log into each camera, one at a time. Change channel name, then log into XVR or NVR and hit refresh. Do the same for other cameras.
Thanks, but unfortunately I still have the same issue. Camera name doesn't change or simply reverts back to IPC. I'm at a loss.

holiday

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
when u log in to the camera, did u use ie and install the plug in as well ?

i find some settings don't stick if webplugs don't get installed.

cbt20

n3wb
Reaction score
when u log in to the camera, did u use ie and install the plug in as well ?

i find some settings don't stick if webplugs don't get installed.
Using IE with plugins installed. The camera device name reflects the changes made, the NVR does not.