Unable to Run a Script from Camera Alert

pepperfr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just upgraded from BI3 to BI 4 on a Windows 10 machine. I was having no trouble running a script from the camera alert configuration in BI 3. After upgrading to BI 4, the script is no longer activated when the camera is triggered. I have tried using the "Test" button from the "Configure Run Alert" window. The script will not run that way either. The script is a Windows Batch File. I can double-click the script file itself and it executes perfectly. The code looks like this:

ECHO OFF
ECHO "Setting Sony SNC-RX570 Camera to Preset 2 then to Preset 1"
:: This batch program is triggered by Blue Iris when motion is detected on CAM5
:: The program commands the SONY SNC-RX570 camera to go to Preset 2 and pause for 5 seconds
:: Preset 2 is the Worship Center view
:: The program then commands the SONY SNC-RX570 to go back to Preset 1 which is the normal parking lot view
callurl http://192.168.1.202/command/presetposition.cgi?PresetCall=2,30
sleep 5
callurl http://192.168.1.202/command/presetposition.cgi?PresetCall=1,30
exit

The script (Preset2 Preset1.bat) is located at C:\Camera Scripts
Callurl.exe and sleep.exe are located located at C:\Windows\System32.

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit Operating System, x64-based Processor

Notes:
1. I had to install BI4 as 32-bit since some of my cameras require Vitamin Control
2. I am not running 3rd party Antivirus, just Windows Defender. I tried with Windows Defender turned off and that didn't help.
3. I tried with Windows Firewall turned off and that didn't help.
4. I am running Blue Iris as a service.

Last edited:

logbuilder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In BI, on the alerts page for the camera, you have an option to "Request from a web service". In the configuration of that option, you can specify a URL to send when it is triggered and a URL to send when the trigger is reset.

I had problems running a script too when BI was a service. As a non-service, it ran fine. As a service, no luck. I seem to remember some advice was given as to the type of user that the service was running under. Once I found the "Request from a web service" option, I found I was able to do what I wanted without the script.

pepperfr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In BI, on the alerts page for the camera, you have an option to "Request from a web service". In the configuration of that option, you can specify a URL to send when it is triggered and a URL to send when the trigger is reset.

I had problems running a script too when BI was a service. As a non-service, it ran fine. As a service, no luck. I seem to remember some advice was given as to the type of user that the service was running under. Once I found the "Request from a web service" option, I found I was able to do what I wanted without the script.
Thanks logbuilder. I tried the "Request from a web service" option you mention. It works, but it is only a workaround, since I have other more complex scripts that I can't duplicate as a url call. I am still trying to figure out why I can't run a script.

pepperfr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Solved: I emailed Blue Iris support. Ken suggested that I try running a simpler batch script on the camera Alert configuration. I tried running a script that executed the XCOPY command. It worked. The script that didn't work incorporated a couple of programs (sleep.exe and callurl.exe) that I had placed at C:\Windows\System32. I tried moving these programs to C:\Camera Scripts where all of my batch script files are located. The script that didn't work before now works! Solved!

P.S. I was messing around with placing the script files in different locations. When I placed the scripts in C:\Windows\System32, I noticed that I couldn't even see them when trying to navigate to them in the camera Alert configuration. I could see pretty much all folders and files in C:\Windows\System32 except the files that I had placed there. It seems like Blue Iris 4 is being blocked from files that I place in System32. Blue Iris 3 didn't seem to suffer from this limitation.