Unable to Upload with FTP

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently got a HikVision DS-2CD2032-I for weather monitoring and uploading snapshots to weather underground. I have everything set up and it is currently running V5.4.0 build 160530 via a PoE injector.

I have spent the past few days trying to figure out what I am doing wrong when setting up the FTP information. I am using the FTP details provided to me by weather underground and I know I have the username/password entered correctly but when I hit "Test" on the FTP page I get the "User name or password is wrong" pop up response as a note.

I know this is not true however, as I can access the FTP site via other means like FileZilla. I also set up another independent FTP site on my personal web server in case this was a weather underground issue, but I get the exact same response. I'm wondering if this is just a catch-all error or its reporting this even though something else is actually wrong.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone had any advice or could link me to a solution for this? Sorry if this has been asked previously. I can also provide more information if necessary.

Thanks!

comsci

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you using passive mode FTP?

I'm not completely familiar with the available settings on this camera, but presumably there is a field for passive or active FTP. Passive is more likely to work with your router without opening up ports in your firewall.

Have you tried using the numerical IP address of the destination? If this works, then something is not working with the DNS domain name resolution for the camera.
(You can determine the numerical IP address of the FTP site from a ping command response)

Blatant plug follows:
If you want to check compatibility with another IP camera FTP service, you could create an account at https://app.comsci.co.uk/camac
It's an IP Camera FTP / Browser service that I'm currently developing and all accounts are free while in beta.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently got a HikVision DS-2CD2032-I for weather monitoring and uploading snapshots to weather underground. I have everything set up and it is currently running V5.4.0 build 160530 via a PoE injector.

I have spent the past few days trying to figure out what I am doing wrong when setting up the FTP information. I am using the FTP details provided to me by weather underground and I know I have the username/password entered correctly but when I hit "Test" on the FTP page I get the "User name or password is wrong" pop up response as a note.

I know this is not true however, as I can access the FTP site via other means like FileZilla. I also set up another independent FTP site on my personal web server in case this was a weather underground issue, but I get the exact same response. I'm wondering if this is just a catch-all error or its reporting this even though something else is actually wrong.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone had any advice or could link me to a solution for this? Sorry if this has been asked previously. I can also provide more information if necessary.

Thanks!
Weather Underground is SERIOUSLY messed up. I spent hours on 2 different occasions in the past 3 months trying to FTP a cam image to them for my personal weather station. I can FTP with Filezilla all over the place with no problems.
I finally gave up, FTP'd the image to MY webpage and told WU to go get the image there. It works. Refresh time isn't great but it works. FTP to WU does not (at least not for me either).
Just ask @looney2ns about how screwed up WU is since IBM bought them.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since your camera has failed with the same error trying another FTP site beside's WU, then it sounds like an issue with the setup in the camera or a bug in it's firmware.
You might try resetting it to factory defaults and trying again.
Do you have the DNS server in the cam properly set to your router's IP address?

@TonyR the phrase "messed up" is being too kind. ;)
For what it's worth, I've been using BI to upload my image and it works for the most part. It will miss once in a while, but has worked for a couple of months now. I'm uploading every 15min. Part of it is, you have to hold your mouth right when setting it up. :banghead:
Newburgh, IN US looney2ns2CAM1 | Weather Underground