Unable to view NVR/Cams via phone app on Local Network!

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Aug 31, 2014
Hey all...hoping someone can help me out here. I'm baffled as I've never had this happen before. Have a buddy that ordered a package deal from empiretech/Andy, dahua cams and nvr. He installed everything and asked if I would swing by on my way home from work and make sure everything looked correct. I reviewed his nvr settings and cams were added and network settings all looked good. I told him to download iDMSS since he has an iphone and I would give him a hand with what settings he needs to enter. So we selected device manager / wired device and proceeded to input local nvr ip address, port 37777, username and password. Now the interesting part is I continue to get "login timeout" and it never connects to see the cams on the app. I even tried to substitute the WAN address instead of the LAN nvr address to no avail.

Stumped, I decided to download another iphone app called DMSS and same error occurring. It's weird because I can jump on a laptop open browser and web into nvr on its local LAN address. Just for fun, I forwarded 37777 and I assumed that the same thing would happen if we tried to connect outside his LAN. Note this was just for a test as we plan on using a VPN server for outside LAN connection. Wouldn't you know the damn app connected to the cams from outside his LAN as long as he is using cellular connection and not connected to wireless (internal LAN connection).

With all this being said....I am totally confused on why it would work on WAN but not LAN. LAN connection should be pretty straight forward and requires little to no advanced configuration to my knowledge for it to work.

Any idea would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Possibly the router. I’ve seen some similar things with brand new Netgear. It’s been a few weeks, let me find my notes on how I resolved it.
Try P2P

Reactions: Roman
Possibly the router. I’ve seen some similar things with brand new Netgear. It’s been a few weeks, let me find my notes on how I resolved it.
Try P2P
No problem man....really appreciate the feedback and support. Just for background info because I missed putting this in my first post, the router is an rented Xfinity Xfi router / modem combo.

Hey all...hoping someone can help me out here. I'm baffled as I've never had this happen before. Have a buddy that ordered a package deal from empiretech/Andy, dahua cams and nvr. He installed everything and asked if I would swing by on my way home from work and make sure everything looked correct. I reviewed his nvr settings and cams were added and network settings all looked good. I told him to download iDMSS since he has an iphone and I would give him a hand with what settings he needs to enter. So we selected device manager / wired device and proceeded to input local nvr ip address, port 37777, username and password. Now the interesting part is I continue to get "login timeout" and it never connects to see the cams on the app. I even tried to substitute the WAN address instead of the LAN nvr address to no avail.

Stumped, I decided to download another iphone app called DMSS and same error occurring. It's weird because I can jump on a laptop open browser and web into nvr on its local LAN address. Just for fun, I forwarded 37777 and I assumed that the same thing would happen if we tried to connect outside his LAN. Note this was just for a test as we plan on using a VPN server for outside LAN connection. Wouldn't you know the damn app connected to the cams from outside his LAN as long as he is using cellular connection and not connected to wireless (internal LAN connection).

With all this being said....I am totally confused on why it would work on WAN but not LAN. LAN connection should be pretty straight forward and requires little to no advanced configuration to my knowledge for it to work.

Any idea would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
The phone could be connecting to the guest network or client isolation could be turned on for the SSID the phone is using.

Some phones also do things like use cellular data if they decide your wifi is slow. You could create some odd issues doing this.

It wouldn't display the camera video, but what about the web browser on the phone? Can you load the login page / log in on the phone's web browser?

Reactions: Roman
The phone could be connecting to the guest network or client isolation could be turned on for the SSID the phone is using.

Some phones also do things like use cellular data if they decide your wifi is slow. You could create some odd issues doing this.

It wouldn't display the camera video, but what about the web browser on the phone? Can you load the login page / log in on the phone's web browser?
All good thoughts...although I can pretty much take the guest network suggestion out of the equation. Only one wireless network setup when I was logged into the xfinity router management interface. And pretty sure when I looked at his phone and turned off wireless in order to go to cellular the ssid was the same name I was connected to on my laptop.

Not sure about "client isolation"....dunno how I would further investigate that as I am not iphone tech savy (android guy myself). I am kicking myself for not trying it on my phone when I was there smh.

The last part I assume you mean try to http to the nvr using the local LAN address....if so no I did not try that either but def a good thought to try.

Not sure about "client isolation"....dunno how I would further investigate that as I am not iphone tech savy (android guy myself).
That's a setting on many routers. It basically prevents well behaved wireless clients from seeing each other on the LAN.

Perhaps try the P2P method on the App. where you scan the QR code from the Nvr Screen.
1727940379486.png1727940493841.png