Unauthenticated SMTP bugs (and workaround) (2231T-ZS)

jstrom

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

did not find any posts related to this so thought I'd just write it down, in case anyone else have similar issues.

I've been trying to get my IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 to send emails WITHOUT authentication to a local server, without any luck.
The Test button just yielded a "Fail" message with no more information. First with the firmware from 2019-11-xxsomething (R10?), but also with the latest 19.R from 2020-06-28.

After some network sniffing, checking mail server logs, and trying out a lot of variations, I have come to the following conclusion:
  • The "Anonymity" checkbox basically does nothing. It will attempt to use the SMTP command "AUTH PLAIN" regardless of setting, and regardless of any AUTH mechanisms the server responds with.
  • If username or password is blank (regardless of Anonymity checkbox), it just says Fail, with no attempt to connect to the server at all.

In my case it was a local postfix SMTP forwarding server that did not use authentication in any way (and of course was not reachable from internet). To get around it I ended up enabling authentication on the server.

@EMPIRETECANDY, perhaps you might want to forward this to Dahua as bug report. If nothing else, this might help someone in the future with the same issue.. :)

Edit: and oh, please ask them to remove the ridiculous and plain stupid "paste" block on all password fields :/ It really discourages the use of complex passwords. And yes, all cameras should be in a isolated private network which cannot be reachable from the internet, or even "untrusted" local machines, but security is made up by several layers.

Last edited:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score

SvenVD

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
FYI, I also have exactly the same problem but with a
DH-IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV-S3 System VersionV2.840.0000000.18.R, Build Date: 2022-06-29
There doesn't seem to be any newer firmware