Underwater IP camera on a beaver lodge

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You can still stop and start the stream with cron. The timeout is more than a couple hours.

The underwater stream runs 24/7 but I do a pi reboot with cron every night to break up the YouTube recordings. I also wrote a simple bash script that uses ifstat to monitor the input and output bandwidth. If the bandwidth falls below a minimum it kills ffmpeg and runs the RTMP script again. The underwater camera runs on a LTE cellular modem so occasionally the internet will momentarily go away.

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You can still stop and start the stream with cron. The timeout is more than a couple hours.

The underwater stream runs 24/7 but I do a pi reboot with cron every night to break up the YouTube recordings. I also wrote a simple bash script that uses ifstat to monitor the input and output bandwidth. If the bandwidth falls below a minimum it kills ffmpeg and runs the RTMP script again. The underwater camera runs on a LTE cellular modem so occasionally the internet will momentarily go away.
Thanks! Do you have to schedule each day's stream with Schedule Stream?

Do you get that "Stream Finished" dialog-box-looking-thing when your streams end? I'm using Stream Now, and that dialog box comes up when my ffmpeg stops, and i have to manually dismiss it before I can start it up again.

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok; I'm answering my own question here: it looks like Scheduled Streams are working better for me than Stream Now. I have a problem with my Reolink cameras where terminating an RTSP client often results in a corrupted RSTP stream when the client restarts. This sometimes requires a camera reboot, and sometimes just requires the client restarting multiple times until the problem magically fixes itself.

In any case, this often results in Stream Now producing the "Stream Finished" dialog that requires manual intervention on the YT Studio page before the stream can be restarted.

Last night I did a Scheduled Stream as TRLcam has been using, and this morning I had a 2-hour interruption in the stream. I restarted it from the ffmpeg side, without touching the YT Studio page, and the YT stream automatically recovered.

Thanks for the tip! I've been fighting with this for several months since Classic Studio went away.

Now it's time to troubleshoot my watchdog timers again . . . .

Once I get this all working and reliable again, I'll post links to my live feeds.

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just realized this is an Installation Pics thread, and I've been talking about ffmpeg and YT the whole time.

Here are some installation pics to put this back on topic:

I use a piece of 3" ABS pipe as a baffle and mount for a bullet camera:

The camera is powered by a POE-POE Switch, aka POE Extender, which is in turn powered by a POE+ Switch: