Unifi camera VLAN setup

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have a Unifi network and I'd really like to set up a VLAN to isolate my security cameras. Looking for anyone who may have done this for tips or lessons learned. Thanks

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
It’s fairly simple. I assume you are running the controller? Do you also have a Unifi switch and router?

I don’t run a Unifi router but run the controller and switch with their APs. I had to create a vlan only network in the controller. Then on my router I created a new network (subnet range) and assigned it the Vlan ID I created in the controller.

Then I had to assign those switch ports to that new VLAN ID. Unifi calls it “switch profiles”. Once you do that everything will be on that new VLAN and you can configure whatever firewall rules you want.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have the controller, USG and switches. I only have my LAN network. Once I create the VLAN, do I just re-IP the cameras to a static address on that VLAN after I apply the port profile for the new VLAN to their physical switch ports.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
The cameras should be set to DHCP ideally for logistical sakes. So when you change the port profile you can power cycle the cameras to get a new IP from your new VLAN subnet.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
The cameras should be set to DHCP ideally for logistical sakes. So when you change the port profile you can power cycle the cameras to get a new IP from your new VLAN subnet.
Makes sense. I can make them static after they get on the VLAN.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Makes sense. I can make them static after they get on the VLAN.
Use DHCP reservations in the router. That way you don’t have to manually configure network settings in each camera GUI.