UNIFI Cams...?

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So, I know I’ll be burned at the stake for mentioning this but, do you like the UNIFI cams? Do you have experience with that ecosystem? I’m tempted to buy into the system just to test it so that I’ll fully know how and when to deploy. Is there something really appealing about UNIFI Protect and related cams?

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I didn’t see this before... a recent Dahua vs UNIFI thread....

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Not much to add from what I said earlier. The Dahua cams we have access to are going to be better and cheaper.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My home network is based on their networking gear but I stayed away from their camera system because it was too "walled in" for me (which feels weird to say as I am a heavy macOS/iOS user).

To me the biggest cons where that their very slick looking VMS software only works with their cameras, and their cameras only minimally work when used with other VMS (Blue Iris, Synology Surveillance System, etc).. they'll provide a RTSP video feed, but AFAIK there's no way for the VMS to do normal ONVIF-related things like flip the camera between day/night mode etc. It also seemed like a very long time (over a year) after folks were running the great 5231s here before Unifi marketed their first low-light camera.

IMO, surveillance is not a major focus for Ubiquiti. As a hobbiist, with as slowly as new tech seems to come out in the surveillance market in general, I'd rather leave my options open to play with the new stuff that comes out from the manufacturers who focus on it (which for me is primarily Dahua, with some Hikvision) than lock myself into just one manufacturer's ecosystem.