UniFi G3 support?

bctrainers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,

Been considering on buying a couple of the Unifi G3 Dome cameras lately and configuring them into BlueIris. Not exactly interested in other cameras at this point in time unless they are power over ethernet as well.

Video demos that I've seen of the UVC-G3-DOME look to be favorable and of decent quality for a IP camera.

I've seen a few reviews here and there stating that the UniFi IP-cameras attached to BI have low-fps or reduced quality. ...There's not much specifics to that however. Additionally, there is a review on Amazon from Dec 2016 stating that BI does not support the UniFi G3 cameras. So am a little confused on if this device is actually supported or not.

On the BI website, i see BI listing two Ubiquiti modes of operation, Airvision H.264 RTSP and JPEG. Does not show what models exactly.

Would anyone have any insight to this? Thanks! :)

ajh

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

Been considering on buying a couple of the Unifi G3 Dome cameras lately and configuring them into BlueIris. Not exactly interested in other cameras at this point in time unless they are power over ethernet as well.

Video demos that I've seen of the UVC-G3-DOME look to be favorable and of decent quality for a IP camera.

I've seen a few reviews here and there stating that the UniFi IP-cameras attached to BI have low-fps or reduced quality. ...There's not much specifics to that however. Additionally, there is a review on Amazon from Dec 2016 stating that BI does not support the UniFi G3 cameras. So am a little confused on if this device is actually supported or not.

On the BI website, i see BI listing two Ubiquiti modes of operation, Airvision H.264 RTSP and JPEG. Does not show what models exactly.

Would anyone have any insight to this? Thanks! :)
I've got over 20 UniFi G3 and G3 Domes setup with BlueIris, they work perfectly with 'Airvision H.254 RSTP' you set the source RSTP to '/0' for high quality stream, and '/2' and '/1' for the other qualities (they're listed on the camera's Web UI on the right of the quality settings). All cameras look just as they should, with the FPS being exactly what is set in the camera's Web UI for the quality profile you are RSTP streaming from. When you unbox the cameras just plug then in, go to their IP they got from DHCP then use the default ubnt/ubnt login and set them up as standalone cameras (meaning you are using RSTP and not the UniFi Video NVR). Don't forget the first thing to do is download the latest firmware from Ubiquiti Networks - Downloads and update each camera! There's always bug fixes and improvements.

bctrainers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Great, thanks for the information and tips on quality! Sounds fairly straightforward at this point in time than. :)

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
I looked at my working G3 bullet camera, and it is set at make = "Generic" and model = "RTSP H.264/H.265/MJPG/MPEG4". I don't see the "Airvision" listed as an option?

Update: I set the make to "Ubiquiti" and then saw and set the model to the Airvision, but the BI server could not connect to the camera.

Last edited:

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not a very compelling argument there, Ford. :(

Why might you be against said line of cameras?
The cameras are priced to be part of UBNT's complete "video solution".

Take a look below at the market UBNT is targeting with their system. If you feel that you're in that market, then these are great cameras for you. The emphasis is on ease-of-use and support, with image quality being the compromise. Not that the IQ is bad, it's just not the best all-around for 2017.

Most folks on the forum here are NOT in that market. They're willing to spend the time learning and customizing their equipment, winding up with a more complex buildout that delivers better image quality. The emphasis is on image quality, with ease-of-use and direct vendor support being the compromise.

If you're a person in the last group, then for the $130 it costs to buy a G3 dome from Amazon, you can get a camera that has better all-around image quality (like one of the models that have the newer, larger Sony image sensors in them <Dahua Starlights, new Hikvisionn turrets>) and supports ONVIF (so you don't have to post on a forum to figure out if it will work with an open-standards NVR like Blue Iris).

IMO, G3s aren't bad cameras, but they're aimed (and priced) for a specific market. And if you're intending on using them with BI, you've already got one foot out of that market...

Our typical customers aren't looking for yet another ONVIF camera to add to their custom-designed installs, they're looking for a video solution that works well and is well supported.

They're buying the video solution, not the cameras themselves. To that end, we're focused on providing an end-to-end solution that works well without all of the customization, configuration, setup, and maintenance that comes with some of these more complex buildouts.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Dlong2 - were you able to figure this out? I am also having an issue getting the G3 Domes running on Blueiris. My G3 Barrell cameras are working just fine, but I can't seem to getting the settings right for the dome unit.

Last edited:

ajh

n3wb
Reaction score
Dlong2 - were you able to figure this out? I am also having an issue getting the G3 Domes running on Blueiris. My G3 Barrell cameras are working just fine, but I can't seem to getting the settings right for the dome unit.
I looked at my working G3 bullet camera, and it is set at make = "Generic" and model = "RTSP H.264/H.265/MJPG/MPEG4". I don't see the "Airvision" listed as an option?

Update: I set the make to "Ubiquiti" and then saw and set the model to the Airvision, but the BI server could not connect to the camera.

Have you tried the settings I listed inpost #2 in this thread?

Reaction score
Embarrassingly, my camera firmware wasn't updated.... The settings work like a champ now that I have updated it.

rinconmike

n3wb
Reaction score
I've got over 20 UniFi G3 and G3 Domes setup with BlueIris, they work perfectly with 'Airvision H.254 RSTP' you set the source RSTP to '/0' for high quality stream, and '/2' and '/1' for the other qualities (they're listed on the camera's Web UI on the right of the quality settings). All cameras look just as they should, with the FPS being exactly what is set in the camera's Web UI for the quality profile you are RSTP streaming from. When you unbox the cameras just plug then in, go to their IP they got from DHCP then use the default ubnt/ubnt login and set them up as standalone cameras (meaning you are using RSTP and not the UniFi Video NVR). Don't forget the first thing to do is download the latest firmware from Ubiquiti Networks - Downloads and update each camera! There's always bug fixes and improvements.
I have six Unifi G3. All seem to work fine with the generic setting which is what the detect finds. I tried the selecting the make as Ubiquiti and then the Model Airvision. It did not work. I then change the path to "/s0" instead of what it defaulted when selecting the Airvision (it was "/live/ch00_0") and it seemed to work.

Is there any difference than selecting generic or Ubiquiti and Airvision?

Should Audio work with either?

thanks,

Mike

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
I have six Unifi G3. All seem to work fine with the generic setting which is what the detect finds. I tried the selecting the make as Ubiquiti and then the Model Airvision. It did not work. I then change the path to "/s0" instead of what it defaulted when selecting the Airvision (it was "/live/ch00_0") and it seemed to work.

Is there any difference than selecting generic or Ubiquiti and Airvision?

Should Audio work with either?

thanks,

Mike
Likewise, I left my G3 cameras as 'Generic' in Blue Iris, and the audio is working fine. The Unifi Video web interface to the camera has a setting to turn on or off audio, and also there's an audio on or off setting in BI's camera setting as well.

rinconmike

n3wb
Reaction score
thanks, I did not disable the mic in the unifi settings. it is also set as stand alone. Accessing the G3 via the web page i do not get audio either. Maybe I am doing something wrong.

With BI. under the camera setting page with the generic setting, there is no path for audio. Do I need to have a path?

thanks,

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
thanks, I did not disable the mic in the unifi settings. it is also set as stand alone. Accessing the G3 via the web page i do not get audio either. Maybe I am doing something wrong.

With BI. under the camera setting page with the generic setting, there is no path for audio. Do I need to have a path?

thanks,
In the BI camera settings, look at the 'Audio' tab. I have 'Enable audio channel' checked, and the 'IP camera stream' option selected.

In the BI camera settings, in the Video tab, and in the 'Configure . . .' button, the audio path is blank, but the format shows '64 kbps G.711 u-law'

rinconmike

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. I have it working now. I had to click the headset icon in the main window.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks. I have it working now. I had to click the headset icon in the main window.
Glad to hear. The audio should play by default when viewing recorded clips or alerts, too, but as you discovered, the live view requires pressing the headset button.