Uniview SSH password generator

Speed666

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Write PW. Prepare camera and it's serial number.

porcupine5

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand this post.,.. but that said, I'm trying to SSH into a uniview NVR, and have no idea what the designers were doing (since they don't follow any known standards).

In the web-ui, it's got an option for "ssh", with a checkbox for "telnet". Upon ticking the "telnet" box, it populates a text field below with 6 random letters/numbers, labeled as "dynamic factor" (what the heck is dynamic factor?! Even google doesn't know).

I can telnet into the device, but have to force outdated key algorithyms, IE:
Code:
ssh -l root -oKexAlgorithms=+diffie-hellman-group1-sha1 [IP]
SSH Login seems forced to "root/123456" (Yikes!). Once logged in, I'm not presented with a standard shell though, just 4 options:
Code:
# help
    display
    help
    login
    uptime
That said, I have no clue how to "login" from there. The camera's "admin" login credentials don't work, the dynamic factor doesn't work, etc. There's nothing in the uniview generic NVR documentation about this. Does anyone actually SSH/telnet into these devices, and know how to do it (what does it derive the user/pass from)?

I'm trying to troubleshoot some of the broken features on the NVR (IE: I want to use the stated FTP functionality to push content to a backup environment in case the NVR gets stolen/damaged/etc.), but have reached the limit I can do through the UI/external troubleshooting (FTP SYN/ACK's, but never gets any further). Anyone familiar?

Speed666

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand this post.,.. but that said, I'm trying to SSH into a uniview NVR, and have no idea what the designers were doing (since they don't follow any known standards).

In the web-ui, it's got an option for "ssh", with a checkbox for "telnet". Upon ticking the "telnet" box, it populates a text field below with 6 random letters/numbers, labeled as "dynamic factor" (what the heck is dynamic factor?! Even google doesn't know).

I can telnet into the device, but have to force outdated key algorithyms, IE:
Code:
ssh -l root -oKexAlgorithms=+diffie-hellman-group1-sha1 [IP]
SSH Login seems forced to "root/123456" (Yikes!). Once logged in, I'm not presented with a standard shell though, just 4 options:
Code:
# help
    display
    help
    login
    uptime
That said, I have no clue how to "login" from there. The camera's "admin" login credentials don't work, the dynamic factor doesn't work, etc. There's nothing in the uniview generic NVR documentation about this. Does anyone actually SSH/telnet into these devices, and know how to do it (what does it derive the user/pass from)?

I'm trying to troubleshoot some of the broken features on the NVR (IE: I want to use the stated FTP functionality to push content to a backup environment in case the NVR gets stolen/damaged/etc.), but have reached the limit I can do through the UI/external troubleshooting (FTP SYN/ACK's, but never gets any further). Anyone familiar?
PM me and we will figure this out.

hblandford

n3wb
Reaction score
Did anyone get anywhere with SSH access to the Uniview NVR?

How about FTP upload of videos to the configured FTP server? I could get snapshots uploading but no video.

Thanks.

porcupine5

n3wb
Reaction score
Did anyone get anywhere with SSH access to the Uniview NVR?

How about FTP upload of videos to the configured FTP server? I could get snapshots uploading but no video.

Thanks.
Speed666 did indeed help me get into my NVR, but he had to write a significant chunk of code to do the heavy lifting, the guy is incredibly talented.

He posted it up on his github (which double-checking to make sure it's public, it is). You can find it on the Speed666's github: GitHub - MarcinWad/IpCams: Tools for various IPCams firmware files

I didn't find much of what I wanted to find on the NVR, everything was incredibly limited and trimmed down, I don't recall finding mount points/file structures for the video files, and a lot of things just weren't as I had hoped they would be (IE: I had hoped to find functional SNMP among other things, no dice!).

That said, I did hear back from our wholesaler shortly thereafter, who had been in touch with uniview. On the NVR we're using apparently there's a limit of 4 cameras for snapshots, and while uniview knows people want to be able to backup video's/etc. (IE: VIA FTP, although that's really bottom of the barrel option on the network side), there's no implementation to allow it, they suggested it was due to hardware limitations. I've since noticed various other bugs/limitations/etc. in the NVR (IE: cameras in corridor mode can't zoom properly [they loose aspect ratio], 8MP cameras default down to < 720p in corridor mode, you can't have too many primary streams, or the NVR craps out pretty quickly, all sorts of silly stuff like that).

Hope that helps, but Speed666 deserves 100% of the credit, I was literally just the remote hands.