Uniview Unicorn VMS?

inforlonghaul

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've come across this Uniview Unicorn that can supposedly handle 1000+ cameras????? Say what? Does anybody know if it's a viable option to use to replace all the NVR's we have and just put all the cameras on the Unicorn? Instead of 15 NVR's spread around for 400-500 cameras, just get rid of them all and consolidate onto the Unicorn?

I've also been tipped off about possibly giving Digital Watchdog for VMS a look, but the downside is the additional camera recording licensing costs. A hefty expense when you have 400-500 cameras to license.

I don't know much about NVR's and what not, but how can a $10-15k Unicorn support 1000+ cameras, yet a $10,000-$15,000 Digital Watchdog server has a recommended max of 128 cameras? As tempting as it looks though...is it a unicorn, literally and figuratively?

Does anybody have experience with the UNV Unicorn or Digital Watchdog or have recommendations?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Reaction score
I saw that the recording capacity is 256 channels or 512Mbps, I don't understand why it says 2000 channels, and the link says it records up to 3000 channels, what should I consider?

"Performance of video storage per server 512Mbps/ 256 channels" in datasheet

inforlonghaul

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I saw that the recording capacity is 256 channels or 512Mbps, I don't understand why it says 2000 channels, and the link says it records up to 3000 channels, what should I consider?

"Performance of video storage per server 512Mbps/ 256 channels" in datasheet
Ah you're right. I see that now on Nelly Security's datasheet. In all reality then, your camera number is likely going to be limited to that 512Mbp. I do know enough to know that with 512Mbps, in no way could it support as many cameras as it's claiming going directly into the Unicorn. I'm thinking now the advertising is misleading, in my opinion.

What I'm starting to suspect now is that I would still need the separate NVR's to handle the recordings and traffic of the cameras in each building. Then you're just tying the local NVR's into the Unicorn for management/live view/playback. That's how it can likely support 1000+ channels. But if it's not really an NVR/VMS capable of handling 1000+ cameras, why does it need 16 bays for harddrives, up to 224TB (14tb per drive)?

Sounds more like Digital Watchdog is the most viable option or purchasing 128 channel NVRs if I'm looking at this new information correctly.

Last edited:

inforlonghaul

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Or it COULD but at 256k bitrate each and 2FPS...?
Haha! Our 4k, 4mp and 2mp cameras would be so spectacular with those bitrates and framerates. Be like trying to look at cameras through a potato. Might as well downgrade to analog, at least it'd be better quality at that rate :p