unmanaged switch.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
On NVRs with PoE ports built in:
-Only cameras can be connected to the PoE ports
-The PoE ports are isolated from eachother and the rest of the network
-Other devices connect to the NVR to view the cameras, sometimes there's a way to access cameras directly through the NVR to adjust settings.
-The NVR will only record up to some number of cameras. Adding a switch doesn't expand the capacity.
-NVRs typically use a different subnet for cameras connected directly, typically something in the 10.x.x.x range.

Often it is possible for NVRs to record from a source on the LAN side of the network. But, you lose one of the PoE ports (fixed number of cams it can record)

Cameras are often assigned static IP addresses and might not just up in a router's status page and could be assigned IPs on a different subnet. Your mange switch could also be configured in a way that causes unexpected behavior.

Last edited:

Amorgus15@

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks but you're way above my knowledge of networking. . I will just try to get an IT guy from school and have him come in , tell him what i want and see if he can configure. I know nothing about networking and am just trying a retirement hobby. I really do appreciate your help. . I have an unmanaged 16 port Netgear but it's not POE. I was trying to add the switch because i read that the system I bought is not top of the line and the 8 cameras system is probably straining the heck out of the nvr which may have something to do with intermittent problems I have losing connection or video.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks but you're way above my knowledge of networking. . I will just try to get an IT guy from school and have him come in , tell him what i want and see if he can configure. I know nothing about networking and am just trying a retirement hobby. I really do appreciate your help. . I have an unmanaged 16 port Netgear but it's not POE. I was trying to add the switch because i read that the system I bought is not top of the line and the 8 cameras system is probably straining the heck out of the nvr which may have something to do with intermittent problems I have losing connection or video.
Post a diagram of how you have things connected and try to use that to explain what isn't working.

Amorgus15@

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks again for your help. I just sent a note to an IT guy to ask for hands on help.. As Clint Eastwood once said, “ know your limitations”.