Unoriginal title saying hello & looking for good and cheap cameras

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I've just created an account. :)

I arrived here because I was looking for IP cameras on Amazon for knowing what happens in my house (I already have a lot of security, it's just because I like having everything controlled! ;) And extra security always goes well, anyway). I found that the top camera was a "Sricam" one, but I was concerned about security:secret:since most that cheap are Chinese, so I made a quick Google search and found a topic on this forum recommending not to buy the camera because it's crap.

So I'm looking for a good and cheap (≤ 50 €/$) camera. Now, I've got experience with both digital and analogue electronics, so I naturally thought about making one myself, but there's a problem: finding a good (in terms of resolution, viewing angle, without IR filter, etc.), camera that can interface with an Orange Pi Zero. I thought of using a webcam, but the good ones are expensive and have IR filter, so I'd need to remove that, a procedure that can scratch or break the lens. I also thought about using an FPV camera, but it has an analogue output (even though I might be able to desolder the sensor and solder it on a PCB).

Do you have any suggestion apart from "spend more money"?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I've just created an account. :)

I arrived here because I was looking for IP cameras on Amazon for knowing what happens in my house (I already have a lot of security, it's just because I like having everything controlled! ;) And extra security always goes well, anyway). I found that the top camera was a "Sricam" one, but I was concerned about security:secret:since most that cheap are Chinese, so I made a quick Google search and found a topic on this forum recommending not to buy the camera because it's crap.

So I'm looking for a good and cheap (≤ 50 €/$) camera. Now, I've got experience with both digital and analogue electronics, so I naturally thought about making one myself, but there's a problem: finding a good (in terms of resolution, viewing angle, without IR filter, etc.), camera that can interface with an Orange Pi Zero. I thought of using a webcam, but the good ones are expensive and have IR filter, so I'd need to remove that, a procedure that can scratch or break the lens. I also thought about using an FPV camera, but it has an analogue output (even though I might be able to desolder the sensor and solder it on a PCB).

Do you have any suggestion apart from "spend more money"?
get a job at McDonald's for a few hours ....same few hours are you will spend trying to get crap to work...

Reaction score
OK, then I'll go ahead with my plan of making one myself. I'll spend some more money and time, but I'm sure it'll pay off seeing the project finished and probably making a Kickstarter campaign for a cheap and good smart camera (I forgot to mention that I want a smart camera if possible, didn't I?). I'll create a topic on this forum when I finish it. You can call me a dreamer or say it's impossible, but I will not be deterred.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, then I'll go ahead with my plan of making one myself. I'll spend some more money and time, but I'm sure it'll pay off seeing the project finished and probably making a Kickstarter campaign for a cheap and good smart camera (I forgot to mention that I want a smart camera if possible, didn't I?). I'll create a topic on this forum when I finish it. You can call me a dreamer or say it's impossible, but I will not be deterred.
lol....yeah...good luck...it is clear that you have no clue as to what you are doing....and that you dont actually need cameras as you would not have the time to wait and "build your own"...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As I said in my first post:

So I don't need them urgently.
And as I said, I will not be deterred.
lol.....yeah....you know this has all been dont before...but go ahead and reinvent the wheel....I am certain you can build it better and cheaper than the chinese...and remember, remove that IR filter it will render excellent colors during the day :facepalm:...you also need to better your research skills, sricam is bottom barrel garbage....

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
There’s some amazing articles about smart cameras but you need deep pockets and a huge amount of programming skills but there not used for security