Unusual Networking Problem POE Switch PC Incompatibility Looking For A Solution

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I know this is going to seem a bit strange but this is the situation. I have the following equipment, 3 OEM Dahua's bought from Andy, BI software purchased from IPCamtalk, a Zyxel GS1008HP POE Switch (802.3 AT/AF) and a Windows 10 PC built with with an ASUS Motherboard.

Here is the problem, when I hook up the Zyxel switch to the PC NIC/Ethernet RJ-45, all lights go out on the switch like it is dead, no signal is passed to the PC. If I hook it up to a different Dell PC, it works. Upon doing a little Internet research I found out this is a known occurrence, some kind of weird incompatibility. I even found a Youtube review where the guy describes the exact same problem and states he has found on-line discussions of the same issue. "Fixes" I have seen are poor workarounds like short this pin out, etc, no thank you.

I added an unmanaged spare four port Netgear switch to the mix (as per the attached diagram) and it works (all the switch lights, signal passes to the PC now, not field tested with BI). I realize this is not ideal but I am going to assume it will work. Would you leave it per the attached diagram?, buy another switch? (like a different brand) and hope it works. Other suggestions?

Every time I have an issue I get good feedback, so thank you for any assistance.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I know this is going to seem a bit strange but this is the situation. I have the following equipment, 3 OEM Dahua's bought from Andy, BI software purchased from IPCamtalk, a Zyxel GS1008HP POE Switch (802.3 AT/AF) and a Windows 10 PC built with with an ASUS Motherboard.

Here is the problem, when I hook up the Zyxel switch to the PC NIC/Ethernet RJ-45, all lights go out on the switch like it is dead, no signal is passed to the PC. If I hook it up to a different Dell PC, it works. Upon doing a little Internet research I found out this is a known occurrence, some kind of weird incompatibility. I even found a Youtube review where the guy describes the exact same problem and states he has found on-line discussions of the same issue. "Fixes" I have seen are poor workarounds like short this pin out, etc, no thank you.

I added an unmanaged spare four port Netgear switch to the mix (as per the attached diagram) and it works great. I realize this is not ideal but it works. Would you leave it per the attached diagram?, buy another switch? (like a different brand) and hope it works. Other suggestions?

Every time I have an issue I get good feedback, so thank you for any assistance.
A cleaner solution would be to buy a pcie dual network card for about 20 bux. This will also allow you to put the cameras on their own lan with no access to the network.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you for the input. I had seen the dual-NIC guide but was unsure if it would solve my problem (using a PCI NIC card and the same Motherboard). The ASUS has a very detailed and GUI based BIOS so I am also going to look and see if there is a setting that is causing the conflict.

I will look into the buying a dual NIC card.

Reaction score
My BI Server has an ASUS PRIME H370M-PLUS/CSM motherboard with no LAN issues. I am using the onboard ethernet connected to a Netgear JGS516PE POE switch which is isolated from the rest of my LAN and only has IP Cams on it. I have a second NIC (Intel EXPI9301CTBLK) that is plugged into a Netgear JGS516 switch that services my LAN and is connected to the internet.

I have no experience with your Zyxel switch. But I have not had any issues in two full years with the ASUS and Netgear combination.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I wanted to provide a brief update to this thread. Dropped a Rosewill Network Card (RC411-V3/$13 bucks), into the PC and all is working like it should and this will allow dual-NIC once I get it configured.