updated...looking at going with BI. Still a couple questions

c-bolt

n3wb
Reaction score
I've done some reading, and think I have a few options, but I'm not sure what is the best route to go.

Currently, I have the Lorex LHV51082T4K.
4k analog BNC, 8 Channel, 2TB HDD DVR
I think its the LVH5100 series.
4- 4k 8mp deterrence (with the dumb little led light) cameras. model LBV8543X

So overall, the picture quality is quite good, daytime and night. The problem I have is the motion detection. I absolutely cannot get rid of the multiple false positives without turning the sensitivity down so far it won't detect people walking. I have set zones to try and minimize the false alarms, but there are still too many. I knew this type of motion sensing was going to be an issue from the get-go, but we got a decent deal on it, and since I have BNC cables already ran through the property it seemed like a logical choice.

So, I would like to know if:
Can I upgrade just the DVR to something with better motion detection? Maybe something that has a 2 line cross style detection? What about getting one with alarm inputs and IR light trigger outputs. I'd have to run additional cables through the house and to the shop, but it is a possibility. I do have 2 pairs of cat5 cables ran out there I am not using. I could then add IR emitters and true motion sensors. Upgrading the DVR seems like the cheapest choice, but then adding the extras would increase the cost substantially.

What about getting a PC and BI and keeping the hardware? Would I be able to get improved motion detection with that setup or would I still need to upgrade the cameras?

instead of all this, can I wipe the Lorex HDD and install a better interface on the LHV?

Sorry for all these questions, but I'm kind of stuck and overwhelmed.

Thanks in advance.

c-bolt

n3wb
Reaction score
OK, so I watched a ton of those BI videos, and thats the route I want to go. It seems I should be able to cut out almost all the false alarms with that. Now I'll be looking for an inexpensive computer.

Am I correct that to add IP cameras at a later time I can just put in a switch without a 5-in-1 DVR/NVR? It seems like it, just need to make sure.