upgrade for IPC-HFW2231T-ZS - higher details day or night

Pavel-V

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hallo,

In my projects I use HFW2231T-ZS and I am pretty happy about it. It works well but there is customer who requires higher details day or night. I read about a milion of articles and tests and still, I am not decided what to offer. My results are:

1. when I choose the same sensor (1/2.8 2Mpx Starvis) it doesnt matter the range. Lite, Pro and Ultra provides about the same image result. There might be the same lense and procesing software. The devil is in functionality. For extra cost one can get extra functionality, but not better image. Is this really right?

2. choosing higher pixels, generaly, one can get better daytime resollution, but the cam is losing points at night. I have got a cup of HFW2431 and I dont like the result. Thought there is the old 1/3 sensor. In Pro serie there is HFW5631E-5E. I like the idea of mix of 6Mpx sensor and Starvis technology. But in reality the min Ilumination is 0.03Lux and the sensor size decreased from 1/2.8 to 1/2.9. So HFW5631E-5E will be an upgrade by day but not by night. Right?

3. the only solution might be to choose Ultra-Smart which provide bigger sensors like HFW8331-ZE. It is 1/1.8 6Mpx Starvis. But tech. list says that it perform at min 0.03Lux compared 0,006Lux on original mentioned HFW2231T-ZS. The price maght be high and my problem I am having is that Dahua dont sell it in the Czech Repulic.

So my question is: "What would you provide as upgrade of HFW2231T-ZS for a customer who requires higher details day or night."

Appriciate any suggestion and sorry for the spelling :-/

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
While a higher resolution helps, more zoom is even better.

The best results of course would come from increasing the resolution and the zoom together. 4MP is a good sweet spot due to the relatively good price of 4MP starlight cameras compared to higher resolutions with equivalent light sensitivity.

Pavel-V

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
1- Generally speaking yes. but there seem to be a few more tricks beyond the sensor
2- I would think so yes.
3- The new 5442 series
Till these days there was nothing better than HFW2231T speaking money to performance I believe. For thouse using IVS higher series equiped with the same 2Mpx Starvis would be the way. 5442 series is looking good - I didnt see that one before. As it is new model and my reseler doesnt have them in stock jet. Thank you very much mate.

and shoves that new "1/1.8” 4Megapixel progressive scan CMOS " works a litle bit better than "1/2.8” 2Megapixel progressive Starvis CMOS "

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Could your customer add more light? For example, I was shopping for PAR38 light bulbs on Amazon, and I see Sylvania now has one with over 2600 lumens for about 26 watts of power. Maybe they can improve their lights to allow better nighttime results with high-resolution cameras.

Pavel-V

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Could your customer add more light? For example, I was shopping for PAR38 light bulbs on Amazon, and I see Sylvania now has one with over 2600 lumens for about 26 watts of power. Maybe they can improve their lights to allow better nighttime results with high-resolution cameras.
The trouble is a pour design. I was not there to tell to the customer that it just might not be a good idea to try to oversee quite a big yard with one IPC ... . He will have to add some lights at the end, but he doesnt know it just now. Might be that the sales manager didnt even consider it.

Be it as it may. I will buy those 5442 ones and test it againts 2231 I have got at stock. There is no better alternative I believe. Is it?

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The trouble is a pour design. I was not there to tell to the customer that it just might not be a good idea to try to oversee quite a big yard with one IPC ... . He will have to add some lights at the end, but he doesnt know it just now. Might be that the sales manager didnt even consider it.

Be it as it may. I will buy those 5442 ones and test it againts 2231 I have got at stock. There is no better alternative I believe. Is it?
I agree the 5442 family is a good option, if you do not require a varifocal lens in a turret body. I contributed some video from my 5442 Full Color model in this topic: Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) (posts #81 and #82). It is the version that has visible-light LEDs instead of infrared, with extra low-light sensitivity.

This may also interest you: IPC-T2385G-I Hikvision 8MP fixed turret I bought this to upgrade from a 2231. There are some videos in that topic too. The scene has very good light, and my priority is to identify people within 10 meters of the camera. I think it is a very good upgrade from my 2231 for the US$150 price.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
If you can wait for several more weeks I sense a new 4mp Varifocal turret will eventually creep its way into the market. Dome version is already available, but as you already know, it doesn't get as much love as the turrets.

While a higher resolution helps, more zoom is even better.

The best results of course would come from increasing the resolution and the zoom together. 4MP is a good sweet spot due to the relatively good price of 4MP starlight cameras compared to higher resolutions with equivalent light sensitivity.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you can wait for several more weeks I sense a new 4mp Varifocal turret will eventually creep its way into the market.
Maybe? The 2831 series (which also use 1/1.8" sensors) have been on the market for a good bit longer and the only varifocal models were domes and bullets.

Pavel-V

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Maybe? The 2831 series (which also use 1/1.8" sensors) have been on the market for a good bit longer and the only varifocal models were domes and bullets.
I am after bullet version which is not available from my reseller. Thought, I dont believe im 8Mpx even on bigger sensor.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am after bullet version which is not available from my reseller. Thought, I dont believe im 8Mpx even on bigger sensor.
For the best low-light image quality I also don't believe in 8MP. My reply was mostly to say that I don't share @Arjun's optimism that a 4MP varifocal turret is imminent. Seems to be something with 1/1.8" sensors that has keep both Dahua and Hikvision from creating varifocal turrets that use them. I hope I'm wrong though!

Last edited: