Upgrade from Blue Iris version 4 to 5 causes BI to hang

lakehouse

n3wb
Reaction score
I have five systems and have successfully upgraded several to version five, however on one of my servers BI5 freezes as it tries to recognize the cameras. I have let it sit for fifteen minutes but eventually I have to go to the task manager to shut BI down. If I go back to version 4, it works normally. BTW the system is a Dell Power Edge Server with dual Xeon E5-2698v3, 64GB of memory, eight 512GB SSDs in Raid 10 with 25 cameras. Ive done the usual things like rebooting, reinstalling, deleting and rebuilding the registry setting, using the configuration file that BI creates during the update and one I have created manually from version 4, without success. If anyone has a solution, I would greatly appreciate hearing about it.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
You need to do an upgrade without restoring your settings and then introduce and configure each camera in turn to try and identify which camera is causing the issue. That’s the only way I know off to investigate and move forward unless you maybe want to log a support call and see if Ken can find the time to investigate.

lakehouse

n3wb
Reaction score
I've thought about doing a clean reinstall, but configuring twenty-five cameras with their individual detection masks is multi day process. BTW, I tried a new approach and disabled all cameras in BI4 and exported a new config file, wiped the registry, started BI5, imported the config file, enabled each camera, enabled sub-streams, and applied the license. Yay, everything was working great.... until I restarted BI5. Now it's back to a frozen screen. I'll give the support call idea a try.