Upgrade GE Simon XT - To ??

Xjfan

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi IPCT forum,

Long time lurker. Getting analysis paralysis. Been searching and reading through lots of posts, wanted to get your feedback.

Background: Purchased our home about 5 yrs ago. It has a GE Simon XT. (Formerly monitored by ADT) I want to self monitor. After reading lots of post, this lead me Ring (monitor @ $100/yr) or Honeywell Vista 20p with Envisalink 4.

Budget: $500 - $600.

Expectations: Main feature is being able to arm/disarm remotely and get notifications while away from home. Check up on system. Open/close garage door. Alarm panel provides verbal/audio of contact tripped. Let's us know which door has open while at home.

I'll don't mind running wires to detectors in the middle of the home. Don't really feel like running wires to door/windows.

With the current technology available today, which would you recommend?

Thanks in advance,

Joe

Xjfan

n3wb
Reaction score
Update...

From Ebay: Ordered Vista 20p with Envisalink-4. Along siren, 6160RF, motion sensors, heat/smoke detector, lastly RE524X..

Looking forward to installing RE524X. Hopefully it works as advertised. Will be nice to be able and use all existing door/windows contacts.

Maybe, I'll hardwire contacts in the future.

Reaction score
Update...

From Ebay: Ordered Vista 20p with Envisalink-4. Along siren, 6160RF, motion sensors, heat/smoke detector, lastly RE524X..

Looking forward to installing RE524X. Hopefully it works as advertised. Will be nice to be able and use all existing door/windows contacts.

Maybe, I'll hardwire contacts in the future.
I would be really interested in your comments about how the RE524X works with the Vista 20p and Envisalink-4. I have been thinking about going this route myself as my old GE Concord Ultra is getting a little outdated. I will have to say, all the wireless sensors in use right now, have had pratically zero problems over the last 15 years I have had this system. Very few false alerts out of it, and battery life in the sensors has been longer than expected.

I have the Ring system also, as backup, and if Ring wants to be a major player they really need to step up their game. The types of sensors they offer, is really a joke. Would not recommend this to anyone looking for things like keyfobs, shock sensors, garage door tilt sensors, etc. Hence the reason I am looking to stick with a "real" alarm system.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would be really interested in your comments about how the RE524X works with the Vista 20p and Envisalink-4. I have been thinking about going this route myself as my old GE Concord Ultra is getting a little outdated. I will have to say, all the wireless sensors in use right now, have had pratically zero problems over the last 15 years I have had this system. Very few false alerts out of it, and battery life in the sensors has been longer than expected.

I have the Ring system also, as backup, and if Ring wants to be a major player they really need to step up their game. The types of sensors they offer, is really a joke. Would not recommend this to anyone looking for things like keyfobs, shock sensors, garage door tilt sensors, etc. Hence the reason I am looking to stick with a "real" alarm system.
You can interface the Concord with home automation via serial or zwave. A smaller user base, means there's a bit less software development.
That said, the concord serial interface is well documented.

The concord has some options you don't find on many alarms. RTM first to make sure something you really like on the concord isn't missing.

HMC8403

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
807210C3-5B44-4F56-993C-A0B06DE39F0D.jpegI have an Simons XT and recently upgraded to Qolsys IQ2+. One nice thing is that it comes in 3 versions so you can reuse sensors from Simons, DSC or Honeywell systems. A Alarm.com subscription is needed but you can do a cheap $10/month for app access and self monitoring or a higher plan for central monitoring. It also has zwave and works with other home automations 67514756-E5EE-44CA-B69A-04007802938E.jpeg