Upgrade to v4?

ben73

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been using BI3 for a number of years and am very pleased with it.
When v4 came along, I remember reading that some users reported that it was quite resource greedy and I chose not to upgrade at the time.
My dedicated laptop happily ran 8 cams previously, now I'm only using 4 on V3, so it has some processing capability in reserve.

I'm happy with my V3 setup. Is there any reason to upgrade? Is V4 much more resource hungry than V3?

THANKS!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
V4 is less hungry if you have an Intel CPU with Quick Sync Video supported, because you can turn on hardware accelerated h264 decoding. Otherwise it is about the same.

ben73

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. Google says my laptop's Intel i5 does have Quick Sync, so that's a bonus.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been using BI3 for a number of years and am very pleased with it.
When v4 came along, I remember reading that some users reported that it was quite resource greedy and I chose not to upgrade at the time.
My dedicated laptop happily ran 8 cams previously, now I'm only using 4 on V3, so it has some processing capability in reserve.

I'm happy with my V3 setup. Is there any reason to upgrade? Is V4 much more resource hungry than V3?

THANKS!
There are many reasons to upgrade...there have been a ton of new features added, like the timeline, more advanced motion settings hardware acceleration and security updates. The upgrade is 30 dollars.

ben73

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. Does the install usually go smoothly and configuration and settings are automatically inherited from the V3 installation?
I'm hesitant to damage a very well functioning setup and then have to spend hours re configuring everything...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. Does the install usually go smoothly and configuration and settings are automatically inherited from the V3 installation?
I'm hesitant to damage a very well functioning setup and then have to spend hours re configuring everything...
Install v4 on the same machine as v3 and it will pull the settings...you can leave v3 there just in case...

ben73

n3wb
Reaction score
Install v4 on the same machine as v3 and it will pull the settings...you can leave v3 there just in case...
Oh that's excellent news. I did not expect it would be a parallel install. I expected it would overwrite V3.
Thank you!