Upgraded my original 2mp starlights to 4mp (pics inside)

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Letters are def more legible for sure.
That is one of the things I look for. Also I was watching the gardeners working in my yard and the 4MP cameras showed much more facial detail compared to the 2MP cameras. I had both at one time and I could compare as they walked around the yard. I have since upgraded all my back yard cameras to 4MP. Still slowly upgrading my front yard cameras.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
To the OP, the comparison pics, are the 5231 cams fully zoomed out? Just trying to get an idea of the perspective differences.

XrayDoc88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been away from this website for awhile. If I remember correctly, didn't the new 4 MP cameras have two problems? 1. The housing/mounting was improperly sized so that the turret style could still move even when tightened down. 2. Something about a software monitoring glitch, perhaps it was called IVS, that wasn't working properly. Have either of these issues been fixed? Thanks.

NVR990

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Impressive.

Am I correct that IPC-T5442TM-AS 4MP is FIXED LENS? Anyone know about availability of a VariFocal version of the same camera?

Tom S

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been away from this website for awhile. If I remember correctly, didn't the new 4 MP cameras have two problems? 1. The housing/mounting was improperly sized so that the turret style could still move even when tightened down. 2. Something about a software monitoring glitch, perhaps it was called IVS, that wasn't working properly. Have either of these issues been fixed? Thanks.

I have not seen the two I just got to be too loose.

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
[EDIT] Sorry for the @ing guys. I figured it out - used the static IP 192.168.1.108, and was able to get in.

@rufunky and @Parley, are you folks using the 5442 with an NVR or accessing it directly over your network? I just got this camera as well, but haven't been able to get it to DHCP my router, so haven't accessed it. I've tried resetting (10 second hold on button next to microSD card) to factory defaults thinking it might have had a static IP setting or something, but still no luck. Was there something obvious I'm missing?

Last edited: