Upgraded PC and now one camera freezes

jebrooks

n3wb
Reaction score
I was running BI4 on an AMD PC with marginal success but when I added one more camera my CPU usage went to 100% so I decided to upgrade. I replaced the AMD motherboard with a new Intel based MB with a I7-9700 CPU and 16GB of DRAM. Surprisingly I was able to reboot the PC without reinstalling Windows 10, just check for updates, install the Intel drivers and I was back in business. As expected the new setup is much better, CPU usage is around 20%.

I currently have three cameras; a Sharx, a Hikvision and my latest is a ReoLink bullet camera.

Everything worked fine until I turned on Intel hardware acceleration in Options. Since then my older Sharx camera display freezes very often. I can get the camera display live again by restarting the camera(usually, not every try). I have a date and time overlay set up in BI and that freezes also so I'm pretty sure the issue is occurring in BI. I switched back to No hardware acceleration but the camera still freezes.

Any ideas?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I was running BI4 on an AMD PC with marginal success but when I added one more camera my CPU usage went to 100% so I decided to upgrade. I replaced the AMD motherboard with a new Intel based MB with a I7-9700 CPU and 16GB of DRAM. Surprisingly I was able to reboot the PC without reinstalling Windows 10, just check for updates, install the Intel drivers and I was back in business. As expected the new setup is much better, CPU usage is around 20%.

I currently have three cameras; a Sharx, a Hikvision and my latest is a ReoLink bullet camera.

Everything worked fine until I turned on Intel hardware acceleration in Options. Since then my older Sharx camera display freezes very often. I can get the camera display live again by restarting the camera(usually, not every try). I have a date and time overlay set up in BI and that freezes also so I'm pretty sure the issue is occurring in BI. I switched back to No hardware acceleration but the camera still freezes.

Any ideas?
First install windows clean using the microsoft windows media creation tool. Its a 20 minuet job at most. Backup your BI settings and more importantly you license key.
Second, double check your settings by looking at optimizing BI in the wiki. It would be almost impossible to be at 20 percent on that processor using 3 cameras even if they were all 4k cameras at 20fps unless you are not using direct to disk.

jebrooks

n3wb
Reaction score
I know how to back up my settings, but how do I back up the license key?

I was excited to restart my PC without doing a fresh Windows install since it left all my programs without need to reinstall them. Is your instruction the generic "reinstall Windows and see if that helps"? or is there a specific benefit? I bought a new copy of Windows 10 Home along with the motherboard and CPU and I can certainly install it if need be.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I know how to back up my settings, but how do I back up the license key?

I was excited to restart my PC without doing a fresh Windows install since it left all my programs without need to reinstall them. Is your instruction the generic "reinstall Windows and see if that helps"? or is there a specific benefit? I bought a new copy of Windows 10 Home along with the motherboard and CPU and I can certainly install it if need be.
You should have your key in the original email if you purchased from the blue iris website. You can also easily find your key by going to the about tab clicking email support and pasting the info in to word or similar.

Windows should always always be installed clean. Not doing so is the cause of many issues. What other programs do you have running? You should run blue iris on a dedicated machine.
You may not need a new windows key.