Upgrading from Analog to IP (NVR Question)

glsmall

n3wb
Reaction score
A little background first
Back when I set up my second security camera system in 2012 it had been almost ten years since I'd set up my first one which was a 4 channel Swann. So, I thought since it had been ten years since my last purchase I'd go with Swann again. My thinking was... After ten years the user interface would have been greatly improved. Well, surprise, surprise, it actually got worse. On the original system I had access to all admin functions through the web based app from the pc. On the new system most of those functions were relegated to having a monitor and mouse physically connected to the DVR.

I wanted to add another camera so I decided it would be a good time to looked around for a better DVR. After talking to a salesman out of Dallas, on his recommendation, and on his assurances that all the DVR management could be done remotely through the web, I purchased an 8 channel Dahua DVR. As it turned out the Dahua and Swann UIs & web functions were almost the same in functionality except Dahua was actually worse. So needless to say IMO the $750 Dahua DVR was not better than an 8 channel Swann which would have been just about half the price.:sad2:

Here's my dilemma
On my current system the recorder is located high up in an area that is very inaccessible without a ladder and running wires is difficult. Currently I do have 25ft VGA USB cables running into a nearby closet. Every time I want to do anything on the recorder I have to drag out a monitor and connect it to the cables in the closet. It's a real pain.:mad-new:

Here's my question
Are there any NVRs out there that once connected to the internet can be *completely* controlled remotely? I.E. at least on the local network? I don't need access from remote locations outside my LAN but that would be ok too. The problem is, there's nothing (that I can find) out there describing how or if these systems can be accessed through the web except for viewing/copying videos.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dahua NVR's can be controlled via Web Browser, or PC/Mac Application (SmartPSS).. the mobile apps can view live and playback, but it wont let you completely configure it like you can through the WebUI/SmartPSS.

glsmall

n3wb
Reaction score
Dahua NVR's can be controlled via Web Browser, or PC/Mac Application (SmartPSS).. the mobile apps can view live and playback, but it wont let you completely configure it like you can through the WebUI/SmartPSS.
On my current Dahua DVR I use PSS. The program appears to have all the menus to do things and some of them even appear to work but when I go back and look nothing has changed. The only thing that works is viewing live and recorded videos and viewing recorded video is a very painful process as the software seems to hang a lot. Maybe "SmartPSS" actually does work? I'll have to do some more investigation. Thanks.

glsmall

n3wb
Reaction score
Since I'm replacing all my stuff. I decided to use this thread to ask all my questions instead of posting in various different sections of the forum. If that's not ok, just let me know.

Skip the parts in blue if you just want the questions.
I've actually been lurking for a couple weeks reading and trying to ge on board with whats new regarding home security systems and found the info here very educational and sometimes some of the responses entertaining. Anyway I now have some comments and a couple more questions.

First is looks like it seems to be the battle of Hikvision vs Dahua unless you want to either spend megabucks or go for a cheap pre-boxed system from Best Buy or Sams Club. No one here dare mention Swann, Lorex or Q-See, etal lest they be relegated among the most uneducated masses of civilization.

Then there's the grey market is an awful choice crowd. I bought a grey market watch for $3500.00 17 years ago and saved $2K. I've been wearing it every day since and it still looks new so I'm not totally against grey market stuff as long as it's not a chinese knockoff and it's the real think just being sold by a non-authorized dealer. And, yes I've sent it in twice to the factory for minor adjustments. For some reason they didn't seem to care that I didn't buy if from an unauthorized dealer. I know that's not going to be the case with security equipment but I might still be willing to take my chances depending on how much savings is involved. The WAF has a lot to do with how much money I spend on a new security system. I think about $1500 is my limit for a 5 camera system to replace my current 5 camera system. My wife didn't have a problem with me spending $3.5K on a watch 17 years ago but for some reason she's thinks $800 is too much for security cameras. Oh wait! we were only dating 17 years ago. Maybe that had something to do with it.

Support: When I put in my Swann systems the support was great. When I put in the Dahua I discovered how dismal support could be. I can't comment on comparable video quality although I did choose Lorex 960h Veri-Focal 4-9mm dome cameras which was the best I could afford at the time.

My current system, which I thought was D1 resolution and as it turns out is really 960H (that just goes to show you how much I knew when I was putting it together 5 years ago and in my defence there wasn't much out there on the web for researching like there is today) is the real reason I'd like to upgrade which is better resolution.

Ok, here are my current questions.
1. If a Swann 4MP system is just a rebranded Hikvision and Amcrest is just a rebranded Dahua why do I want to spend two or more times as much for the branded stuff considering the lack (and I'm talking total lack of support) for the branded stuff. Is the rebranded stuff really that much poorer quality?

2. I have a choice I can go 3MP or for a couple $hundred more I can go 4MP system. Is 4MP worth it? (In your opinion of course).

3. From what I've read, Nelly's is a good place to go for Hikvision. Correct?

4. Which 8 channel Hickvision NVR for 3MP / for 4MP. Links dould be nice if it's not too much trouble.

Questions about cameras later...

Thanks,
Gordon

glsmall

n3wb
Reaction score
After much thought and gut wrenching, I've decide to go with either Dahua or Hikvision.

I had pretty much made the decision to go with Hikvision but then I saw this... Is it something the I should be concerned about? I hate flakey equipment.

My Dahua DVR, as much as I've bad mouthed it, does run flawlessly and I've never had any problems with it once I got it up and running. I'd rather spend a little more and get reliability than have to mess with the system on a daily or even weekly basis.