Upgrading from BI 4.8.6.3 on Win7 to BI 5.x on Win10

propman07

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi-

I've got an old Win7 machine running BI 4.8.6.3. I'm working on configuring a new machine running Win10, and wanted to know if there is a recommended process on upgrading / transferring all of the camera settings from the older BI install to the new one. I'm hoping that I don't have to add all of the cameras manually, configure everything, etc. on the new hardware.

Thanks.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can export the main BI file out and each camera individually. For some people it works flawlessly and others there are issues.

Are you upgrading from V4 to V5 or simply purchasing a new license?

If actually upgrading, make sure you follow this:

propman07

n3wb
Reaction score
wittaj- thanks for the reply. I'll see about exporting each of the individual camera settings and placing those files in a safe place during the upgrade.

I wasn't sure if V5 supported Win7...if I recall correctly, I don't think that it did, which was one of the reasons I was stuck on V4....but it's been a while since I've looked at it.

My guess would be that the cleanest path might be to purchase a new license for V5, install that on the new Win10 machine, and try to import the camera setting files.

Thanks.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The cleanest path is certainly to start over from scratch with new configuration. Like just the other day I ended up deleting and re-creating one of my cameras because it was the only way to make its video not freeze when I had audio support enabled for the camera.

propman07

n3wb
Reaction score
bp2008- Kind of what I figured....I'm not even sure if I can install V5 on a Win7 box, so I need to research that as well. Glad to hear you were able to fix your cam issue simply by deleting/re-creating it....that's good to hear, but was probably a hassle.

propman07

n3wb
Reaction score
looney2ns - thanks for the reply....looks like I can install V5 on a Win7 box. I'll have to see if I want to upgrade the V4 version I have in place, or go with a fresh install of V5.....something to think about.