Upgrading my system.....

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Honestly I don't think I would buy a replacement 3.6mm camera for this location unless you wanted to place this camera some where else and needed to buy another camera anyway.
My current system is a consumer grade Lorex system I bought some six years ago. I want to move the entire system out to my shop and install a better camera system around the house.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
If there is another place you will definitely want a 3.6mm then I would try it over your door first. If it isn't what you want then go with a 2.8mm there.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
My current system is a consumer grade Lorex system I bought some six years ago. I want to move the entire system out to my shop and install a better camera system around the house.
Gotcha. I misunderstood then. I though you had a 2.8mm version of a camera and were thinking of replacing it with the exact same model just in a 3.6mm version. If you are upgrading/replacing the camera anyway, then it makes sense why you are trying to find the best focal length for your situation.

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So I have a 16 port POE+ switch that all the cameras around my home will connect to. Then this switch will connect to a 2nd NIC on my Blue Iris PC to keep the cameras physically separated from my main network.

I was thinking that my detached garage would be another place I'd like to add another camera. I have direct burial CAT 6 going to my detached garage that is being used by my HDHomerun out there for over the air channels. My antenna is on the detached garage and I wanted the coax run as short as possible to the HDHomerun so that is why the HDHomerun is out there. Yes I know I should have ran a couple more CAT 6 runs in the ditch but I figured if I ever needed to I would add a switch out there for extra ports. I'd like to think there is a way to use this single CAT 6 run to my garage for connecting another camera. I know I could use a POE switch and have a camera and my HD Homerun connected out there but then my camera out on the garage would not be separated physically like my house cameras. Beyond going through the work of running a 2nd cable is there a way to achieve this?

I did find this mentioned elsewhere in the forums here. Can this be used to connect not only a POE camera but also a non POE device like my HDHomerun? On the other end I would need to split it again so the camera would plug into the POE switch with the rest of my cameras and the HDHomerun plugged into my regular switch off the router. My HDHomerun only has a 100 mbps ethernet port so it seems like something like this would work.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
A switch is the best option. If you want to be able to isolate the camera from the HDHomeRun, then you need to use VLANs. Of course this will require two things..... 1) Your switches need to support VLANs and 2) Your firewall/router needs to support VLANs. Obviously if you have to purchase a switch for that location, then getting one that supports VLANs is easy. However the main switch in your house that the garage switch will be connected to will also need to support VLANs. (Otherwise the VLAN tag will be dropped and the network will not be isolated). It's also unknown if your current firewall/router supports VLANs. If it doesn't, then you would have to change out that hardware or firmware as well.

What networking hardware do you currently use? What router and switch models?

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A switch is the best option. If you want to be able to isolate the camera from the HDHomeRun, then you need to use VLANs. Of course this will require two things..... 1) Your switches need to support VLANs and 2) Your firewall/router needs to support VLANs. Obviously if you have to purchase a switch for that location, then getting one that supports VLANs is easy. However the main switch in your house that the garage switch will be connected to will also need to support VLANs. (Otherwise the VLAN tag will be dropped and the network will not be isolated). It's also unknown if your current firewall/router supports VLANs. If it doesn't, then you would have to change out that hardware or firmware as well.

What networking hardware do you currently use? What router and switch models?
All my switches are Netgear unmanaged. I use T-Mobile home internet with an alternate gateway.......the tower is right behind my house. I'm starting to think that I will just run another line out there even though it will be a pain.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
All my switches are Netgear unmanaged. I use T-Mobile home internet with an alternate gateway.......the tower is right behind my house. I'm starting to think that I will just run another line out there even though it will be a pain.
It's also possible to break your 8 wire network cable into 2x four wire "fast ethernet" (10/100) networks. You'll need the applicable adapter at each end of the wire however. You also can't send POE through the adapter section of network cable. Something like this: Ethernet RJ45 Sharing Splitter Kit Ideal Solution for Connecting Two Devices New 744759240385 | eBay

I think both of those devices will work just fine on a fast ethernet (10/100) speed connection.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's also possible to break your 8 wire network cable into 2x four wire "fast ethernet" (10/100) networks. You'll need the applicable adapter at each end of the wire however. You also can't send POE through the adapter section of network cable. Something like this: Ethernet RJ45 Sharing Splitter Kit Ideal Solution for Connecting Two Devices New 744759240385 | eBay

I think both of those devices will work just fine on a fast ethernet (10/100) speed connection.
That's exactly what I was thinking originally. At the house end it would allow me to plug one set of four wires connected to the HDHomerun into my regular internet switch. Then the other four wires connected to my camera can connect to my dedicated POE camera switch and be separated from my regular network,

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I got one of my 4K/T's installed at one of my entry doors. I live out in the toolies so it gets pitch black dark at night. The photo (Rainy WA state) is with the built in LED's at 25% and my wood shed light on. No other accessory lighting. I'm thinking about getting two or three of those solar powered street lights and strategically placing them to help with a larger color image. The pic is a screen capture from my phone using the Blue Iris app.

Screenshot_20230410_204741_Blue Iris.jpg

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I got one of my 4K/T's installed at one of my entry doors. I live out in the toolies so it gets pitch black dark at night. The photo (Rainy WA state) is with the built in LED's at 25% and my wood shed light on. No other accessory lighting. I'm thinking about getting two or three of those solar powered street lights and strategically placing them to help with a larger color image. The pic is a screen capture from my phone using the Blue Iris app.

View attachment 159821
Static scenes don't tell the whole story. How does it look with someone walking through the shot?

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Have a question. I bought a PTZ camera from EmpireTech Andy. It works great! The auto tracking is pretty darn cool and the IR at night is pretty darn impressive. My question......I was watching a POE switch review and the reviewer was connecting a PTZ camera to this particular switch. He said if you have a PTZ camera to be sure and connect it to the first port on the switch because of the power demand. Is this advice true? I'd think as long as you didn't go over the power rating of the switch that any port would be fine for a PTZ.

By the way.....this is the switch I'm using.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Some of the cheaper ones are that way. Look on that switch you have and it says 1-16 are POE+ capable. As you said, you just can't go over the power budget.