Upgrading OS Drive

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Amazon had a 500gb drive for $39. My plan is to replace the 128gb OS drive in my BI computer.
Here's my plan:
Shutdown BI (anyone know how to do this gracefully?) By going into services and stopping anything that says BI.
Clone the drive with Samsung Magician.
Shutdown the computer.
Swap the SATA cord from the old OS drive to the new one.
Boot the computer.

Anyone see anything I missed?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep it is that simple.

You could go into BI settings and temporarily turn off run as a service and then when you close out, BI won't be running, but going into Task Manager/Services and shutting it down will be fine. If you are running Deeptstack or CodeProject I would also shut that down.

For good measure, it might be good to de-register/deactivate the BI license prior to doing this and then re-activate/register. That step might not be needed, so we will see if someone recently did a simple SSD drive swap and if they needed to do that.

I just know we see lots of threads of people switching computers and having issues and needing to wait for BI support to re-activate them. But those could have been having both computers on as well.

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Good point! I have Deepstack running.
Actually that's the main reason I'm making the swap. I want to have plenty of space available to install CodeProject before shutting down and uninstalling Deepstack.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^. to @wittaj 's post.
If you don't have your license code handy, I would click on Bi's "Settings" => "About" and click on the button "email support" and save that to a text file.

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
+1^^. to @wittaj 's post.
If you don't have your license code handy, I would click on Bi's "Settings" => "About" and click on the button "email support" and save that to a text file.
Thanks, I'll do that. But since I'll have the original bootable drive available I could get it from there after the fact.

Since I'm only changing the drive, I think I should be fine, but we'll see.

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Good news! The HD upgrade went flawlessly, as I kinda expected...It's nice when things work out that way.

Now onto upgrading to CodeProject. My current BI install is version 5.5.6.15. Unfortunately I don't see how to add CodeProject as the AI. The suggested upgrade upon launching BI is 5.7.5.6. @wittaj, @TonyR, or anyone else have any input on which version of BI I should upgrade to that supports CodeProject and works well?

Follow up question, which version of CodeProject are you using and which one should I go with the above version of BI?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good news! The HD upgrade went flawlessly, as I kinda expected...It's nice when things work out that way.
VERY true!
Now onto upgrading to CodeProject. My current BI install is version 5.5.6.15. Unfortunately I don't see how to add CodeProject as the AI. The suggested upgrade upon launching BI is 5.7.5.6. @wittaj, @TonyR, or anyone else have any input on which version of BI I should upgrade to that supports CodeProject and works well?

Follow up question, which version of CodeProject are you using and which one should I go with the above version of BI?
I'll defer regarding CP; I'm not using it.:cool:

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks Tony. I've been trying to follow the forum on BI and CodeProject but it's hard to decipher the current best combination.